Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How does a CCD work?

1. May 20, 2016 #1
    I have read the textbook but it does not explain it in a very intuitive manner. This is the explanation (the bolded bits are the unintuitive bits):

Rectangular electrodes and an insulating layer are thin enough to allow light photons to pass through and liberate an individual electron in the light sensitive material underneath.

When collecting charge, the central electrode in each pixel is held at +10 V and the two outer electrodes at +2 V, which ensures that the liberated electrons accumulate under the central electrode.

After the pixels have collected charge for a certain time, the charge of each pixel is shifted towards the output electrode via the adjacent pixels. This is achieved by altering the voltage level of each electrode in a sequence of three step cycles.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2016 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Does this video help?

4. May 21, 2016 #3
    Not really since youtube is blocked :sorry:

5. May 21, 2016 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

6. May 21, 2016 #5
  7. May 21, 2016 #6

Drakkith

Are you referring to when the charge in each pixel is transferred to the next pixel over?

8. May 21, 2016 #7
    Yes :smile:

9. May 21, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

why is it blocked ? I can view that video with no probs

10. May 21, 2016 #9

Drakkith

Alright, well, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Let's start with the basic process of a voltage being applied to move the electrons from one pixel to another. Do you understand what that means?

11. May 21, 2016 #10

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Me too

12. May 22, 2016 #11

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are many possibilities:
    • The OP is 17, with a device presumably supplied by his parents. His parents applied parental controls on the device to blacklist youtube.
    • The OP uses his device at home, where his parents have blacklisted youtube at the router or modem level.
    • The OP uses his device at school, which has blacklisted youtube at the internet provider level.
    One final possibility (easily discountable in this case) is that the OP lives in a country that has blacklisted youtube at the gateway level.

13. May 23, 2016 #12
    I get that bit, yes. But I don't get why.

Correct :smile:

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  14. May 23, 2016 #13

Drakkith

Electrons are charged particles. When you apply a voltage you exert a force on them that causes them to move. By applying this voltage in the right way, we can move the electrons from one pixel to another pixel to another until they wind up at the final pixel, which finally moves them into a charge amplifier to be "read out" by the electronics.

15. May 23, 2016 #14
    OK :smile:

16. May 24, 2016 #15
    Why don't they just put some multiplier tubes underneath the pixels, connected to a computer, which can then produce an image on the screen since they know which pixel each tube corresponds to? Why do they have to shift it to the next pixel?

17. May 24, 2016 #16

Drakkith

My best guess is that they're too large. CCD pixels are only about six to a dozen microns or so in size, way too small for multiplier tubes. The pixels have to be that small to pick up the detail from the image formed by the optical system. Also, photomultiplier tubes are entirely different beasts from CCD's. They use a whole other method for picking up the light, so you would never have a photomultiplier hooked up to a CCD. Put simply, CCD's and photomultipliers perform the same function (detecting light and converting it to a digital signal) using different methods, and each has their strengths and weaknesses.

18. May 24, 2016 #17
    Thanks. That makes more sense. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted