Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How does a Michelson-Morley interferometer work?

1. Oct 29, 2015 #1
    I was watching a video about space travel and one of the methods of going into space is using warp drive and to test if warp drive was possible they had to created a device to test if their ideas for warp drive was possible they had to measure space-time it's self and they said a Michelson-Morley interferometer can measure space-time and I am very spectacle about this because nowhere have I ever heard of such a device and can anyone tell me if this is real and if it really can measure space-time can you explain how this is possible to measure space-time and the physics behind it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

If you want to learn what a Michelson-Morley interferometer is, you should google for it. There's a pretty decent wikipedia article, and if you have further questions after reading that and the other stuff that Google will find, you can ask them here.

If the video you were watching says what you say it does, it is garbage and you shouldn't be wasting your time on it. If you want to know more about warp drives, google for "Alcubierre drive" and also search this forum for threads about it. If you want to understand what space-time is all about, get hold of a copy of Taylor and Wheeler's "Spacetime Physics" and start working through it - the people here can help you over the hard spots as you come across them.

This thread is closed, but when and if you have followup questions, new threads will be welcome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook