Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does a transistor work?

1. Jun 2, 2007 #1
    Hey... I really want to know the root means. I mean i know how a transistor works as in how it functions... But I don't know how it works that way, I wanna know the "physics" meaning... as in why it works that for all the various transistors and other components. If someone has a link as to where i can get such info... It would be very helpfull... I want to know how it works.. as in why there is no flow of current between the base and collector in a pnp transistor... At the fundamental level...

Anyone want to help me out? I would be very greatfull..:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2007 #2
  4. Jun 3, 2007 #3
    thx for the reply man... :smile: Ive just got one question though... since the emitter and collector are identical junctions, can they be interchanged? or must an emitter necessarily be used only as the emitter junction...

5. Jun 3, 2007 #4
    Collector and emitter are doped in different proportions for optimum performance. If you reverse them, the transistor would still work theoretically but with severe limitations. The alpha would drop by more than half, and beta less than one.

6. Jun 4, 2007 #5
    cool... thats what i thought would happen too, thx for reconfirming it to me... :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?