How Do Trees Absorb Nutrients and Survive Winter?

• Thread starter Edison Bias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tree Work
In summary: From what I can find, these three things are needed for the cohesion theory to be viable: negative pressures in the xylem, water that is able to tolerate great tensions, and water that is moved fast enough to match the transpiration rates that are measured.
Hornbein said:
It isn't suction or capillary action. Tree cells actively pump water.

I'd sure love to read about that.
It might validate my long held but utterly baseless opinion that alternate tension/compression{think deflection in a beam) as they sway in the breeze provides the motive force.

Biology news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
I'd sure love to read about that.
It might validate my long held but utterly baseless opinion that alternate tension/compression{think deflection in a beam) as they sway in the breeze provides the motive force.

I learned it when earning my biology degree.

Can you describe the mechanism ?

I'm sorry to disturb you in that interesting discussion but I just wish to say something. I have read some of Drakkith nicely provided wiki-link about phosynthesis. It describes the situation of free electrons. I don't really understand it but it got me thinking of the photo-electric effect. Is it perhaps this that is going on in the leaves? A photon splits the ionic chemical bound in Carbondioxide into Carbon and Oxygen, another photon then separates Hydrogen from the Oxygen in water and together in special doses they form Sugar and Oxygen. I think it is extremely interesting that except for the amazing Oxygen, photosynthesis produce Sugar to give the plant energy to sustain life. The rest of growth is made by extracting nutricians from the ground. What does this tell us, sometimes fat people like me that sit on our asses most of the time? Maybe we should not consume so much sugar because it is pure energy :)

Edison

Edison Bias said:
Maybe we should not consume so much sugar because it is pure energy :)

Off topic

Do you notice sugar affecting your mood?
Search on these terms : diabetes obesity sugar LCHF ketosis

There is a growing school of thought that US consumption rate of sugar is a danger to public health.

I just bought myself a $20 blood sugar test kit at Walmart.

Likes Edison Bias
Thank you for your reply, Jim!

More off topic, if I may?

I am a dedicated fan of LCHF which I think is based on the way cavemen ate (and who has "seen" a fat caveman?). I also think that what you call ketosis goes something like this: If you cancel the corbonhydroxides (CH) in your food, the cells switch from burning CH to burning fat. My thought about this is the that while they are saying that there are two kinds of CH (i.e fast/slow) both contains exactly the same amount of energy and CH is CH regardless if there are parts of it that is called sugar (of different names). The only difference is the rate of sugar "shock" to the sugar regulating system (i.e insulin production). And look at a person about to run Marathon, what does he/she eat? Yes, they eat pasta i.e slow CH. And run for 50km...

All this while I hardly even run for the bus :D

Edison
PS
I really do not experience moodswings due to sugar. If I experience anything it's more like nausea due to too much sugar. I have never experienced less of tiredness. Coffee works better :)

It seems this thread has gone off topic and the question about trees has been answered, so we will close this thread.

Last edited: