1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does a vacuum motor work?

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    I was wondering about the how the suction works? I got this cordless vacuum broom for free and it has terrible suction. It runs on like 7 or 8 recharge c battery's and I was wondering if i increased the amperage or voltage would the motor run faster and have more suction?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2012 #2
    I would not recommend increasing the volts/amps past the design specs, this will likely cause the motor to have a reduced lifetime, and may actually be dangerous to you (electrocution, motor catching fire / bursting).

In terms of how these work, many of them are turbine based - i.e. a radial turbine. But there are many many variations as you can imagine.

In general I would say that you won't be able to fix it yourself. The parts may be very tight tolerance that you can't replicate without CNC machines.

4. Aug 10, 2012 #3

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The clue is probably in the word "free". Designing and building an efficent compressor isn't easy. Probably the best you can hope for is that it produces a fairly high volume of air flow, not a high suction pressure with the inlet blocked.

5. Aug 10, 2012 #4
    So increased air flow to the motor should increase the suction of the vacuum?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook