How does a wheel move forward?

• Thread starter segue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wheel
In summary, the theory behind movement is related to the electro-magnetic force, where the push or pull of atoms on one part of an object will cause a chain reaction, with the effects propagating at the speed of sound in the material. This is also known as a paradox, and while there is no specific name for it, it is a well-known concept in physics and can be further researched online.
segue
Years ago I read about this but can't find any reference to it now. The underlying reason, as I remember it, is to do with the electro-magnetic force, which I think is responsible for the majority of physical interactions. But anyway: if your hand pushes on a bicycle wheel for e.g., the electrons in your hand repel the electrons on the rim of the wheel, thereby "impelling" those atoms forwards. The remainder of the atoms follow in a chain reaction. In other words, one part of the wheel has to move first before the remainder of the wheel. If all of the wheel moved at exactly the same time, it wouldn't actually get anywhere; it would just stay on the spot, spinning, and creating a rut in the ground. I'm not sure this is correct; it's just what I remembered reading years ago.

Whatever the underlying process actually is, it would describe movement generally. I'm not really asking for any maths on this, such as formulas to work out force or anything. I'm interesting solely in the underlying reasons for how things can move forward in space.

Is anyone familiar with this? And is there a proper name for this theory/paradox? Any links to a site that explains this better would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you push something, the effects of the motion of the material propagate mostly at the speed of sound in the material. Maybe if you imagined a wheel made of jello it would help.

The atoms are all bound together, so if you push or pull some of them, they in turn will push or pull all the others they are bound with. This extends out into the whole object. As Khashishi said, the effect propagates at the speed of sound in a material. (Which by the way is generally WAY faster in a solid material than in air.)

1. How does a wheel move forward?

A wheel moves forward through a process called rolling. This involves the wheel making contact with a surface and rotating around an axle, causing it to move in a linear direction.

2. What makes a wheel move forward?

A combination of friction, weight distribution, and rotational force allows a wheel to move forward. When the wheel turns, it creates a horizontal force that pushes it in a forward direction.

3. How does friction affect the movement of a wheel?

Friction plays a crucial role in the movement of a wheel. It helps to grip the surface and prevent slipping, allowing for efficient rolling motion. However, too much friction can also slow down the wheel's movement.

4. Why does a wheel move in a straight line?

A wheel moves in a straight line because the weight distribution is evenly distributed around the axle, creating a balanced force. This balance prevents the wheel from veering off course and ensures smooth movement in a single direction.

5. How does the axle contribute to the movement of a wheel?

The axle is a key component in the movement of a wheel. It serves as the point of rotation and supports the weight of the wheel, allowing it to turn smoothly. Without an axle, the wheel would not be able to rotate and move forward.