Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does adding neutrons to an atom change the atom?

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1
    How does adding neutrons to an atom change the atom?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't really change the atom as a whole,it may make its nucleus more massive and possibly radioactive.The structure of the electron shells remains the same...

Off-topic:How old are you?

Daniel.

4. Jun 6, 2005 #3
    I'm almost 16, you? Umm... I have a couple more questions if you don't mind. I'm studying for finals and I totally don't understand physics. What is an isotope and an ion? An example. What is ionization and how is the atomic number of an atom determined?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hannah o:)

5. Jun 6, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good thing you told me how old you are,i've had some rather embarassing moments talking to a HS kid and telling him very complicated matters from Quantum Physics...:rolleyes:

Do you have a textbook?You're asking about definitions and examples.Any normal book should have something like that.

Daniel.

6. Jun 6, 2005 #5
    I don't have a text book. How old are you?

7. Jun 6, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Why dont ya have a textbook?

8. Jun 6, 2005 #7
  9. Jun 6, 2005 #8
    Thanks for the help. Good night.

10. Jun 6, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then we got a problem.I can give you the definitions without any problem,but u'll have to promiss you'll do some further reading into it,okay...?Maybe a visit to the library,something needs to be done. :wink:

A certain chemical element may have more than one isotopes,which means it can have more different types of nuclei,but all with the same electric charge (that is the same Z/atomic number).2 isotopes of the same chemical element differ only through their A/mass number,more precisely they have the same number of protons,but different number of neutrons.

Example:Chlorine has 2 natural isotopes:[itex] _{17}^{35} Cl \ ;_{17}^{37} Cl [/itex].As you can see,the number Z (of protons) is the same for both,17,while the mass number differs:the first has A=35,which means 35-17=18 neutrons,while the second has A=37,which means 37-17=20 neutrons.

An ion is an atom which is not electrically neutral.It either has lost or gained electrons.

THe Chlorine atom has 17 electrons.It can get an electron and with 17 protons and 18 electrons,it becomes a negative ion,with the net charge +17+(-18)=-1.

Ionization is the physical process through which an atom either loses or gains electrons (i.e.ionizes).

Daniel.

11. Jun 6, 2005 #10
  12. Jun 8, 2005 #11

Cant you afford a new one?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?