Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does an Op Amp work?

1. Dec 20, 2014 #1
    Can Op Amps replace transistors? Can they do everything a transistor does? They can be used as comparators and amplifiers. Will they become obsolete.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have you done ANY research on your own?

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    I have taken courses. I just seem to have trouble using Op Amps in circuits, or getting what's going on with its inputs and outputs when they are connected to other components.

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I always had that problem myself but I was confused by your asking if they can do everything a transistor can do. An op amp is WAY more complex than a single transistor. It's a controlled voltage source with a feedback look. It has many transistors in it. No, I don't think they will become obsolete, although you never know what the future will hold.

6. Dec 20, 2014 #5
    I've always loved to play with battery-operated electronic toys. It seems like the op amp has a lot of play value as a toy.

7. Dec 20, 2014 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh, they are WAY more than toys. You should Google them.

8. Dec 20, 2014 #7
    How do I use inductors and capacitors to enhance the op amp? What effect do those components have in the circuit?

9. Dec 20, 2014 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are asking extremely broad questions. You really need to study circuit analysis and play with them in the lab (or possibly in a simulator). Asking shotgun questions on an internet forum is not the best way to learn this stuff.

10. Dec 20, 2014 #9
    It's applying that I have problems with. So I just try to have fun and socialize and relax, hoping it'll stimulate creativity.

11. Dec 20, 2014 #10
    I play a part in the development of high-tech products. I don't know how an op amp works or how to use it. I'm so shamed? Did Steve Jobs know how to use op amps when he invented the iPhone?

12. Dec 21, 2014 #11
    Are op amps used in industry today? Or is it just an electronics hobbyist tool?

13. Dec 21, 2014 #12

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Op amps are used all over the place in industry. The iPhone has hundreds of op amps in them. Seriously, start with the wikipedia article on op amps. It's pretty good. Then ask questions about what you don't understand.

14. Dec 21, 2014 #13

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

You are "shamed" only if you choose to be. What I pointed out was NOT about the fact that you don't know how an op amp works but about the fact that you are asking questions that are so basic as to make clear that you have not done any research on your own.

Your statement in post #9 suggests that you misunderstand the purpose of this forum, which is a bit more focused than the casual "social" kind of interaction you seem to be looking for.

15. Dec 21, 2014 #14
    Do op amps go good with motors?

16. Dec 21, 2014 #15
    Is it wrong for me to use other people's technical, ability, knowledge, talents and skills for my own financial gain?

17. Dec 21, 2014 #16

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

This thread has a really bad direction, phinds explained why. I closed it.
    Please see what you can find out on your own and send me a message with the result if you have more specific follow-up questions, then I will open the thread again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook