How is aviation radar able to track objects in three dimensions simultaneously?

In summary, a search radar sweeps a large beam to find targets, air traffic control radars use an antenna shaped like a part of a cylinder (or paraboloid), and a track mode can be activated on a detected target.
GiTS
I understand the theory of radar but not aviation radar. It is my understanding they can find an objects position in the x, y, and z axis simultaneously. How does that work?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most aviation (air traffic control) radar isn't really radar - a radio signal is sent to a transponder on the plane which broadcasts it's own position from the planes GPS, along with it's ID, route, altitude etc

You can determine height (and range) from primary radar by sweeping a narrow beam vertically and measuring the angle at which you get a strong return. Essentially it's just regular radar turned on it's side.

Last edited:
ok. thank you. So how do radar guidance systems or jetplanes find a target in 3 dimensional space? A vertical and horizontal sweeping radar?

GiTS said:
ok. thank you. So how do radar guidance systems or jetplanes find a target in 3 dimensional space? A vertical and horizontal sweeping radar?

Yes. Either a gimbaled parabolic antenna, or an electrically-steered phased-array antenna. I'll see if I can find some pics...

Oh wicked! Looks to be a combination gimballed phased-array antenna in an F-16. :cool:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/images/ELEC_AN-APG-68v9_Radar_F-16_lg.jpg

GiTS said:
ok. thank you. So how do radar guidance systems or jetplanes find a target in 3 dimensional space?
Civil aircraft don't carry primary radar, the position of other planes and the collision avoidance is managed by the transponders.
Large airliners do carry weather radar which is relatively short range and low resolution to pick up rain clouds.

Do planes still use radar altimeters or do they rely on pressure and GPS?

Thank you.
I had an idea, but I am not sure if it would work. What if there was one transmitter but 3 receivers spaced out in a triangle. Each receiver would receive the signal at slightly different times if the object was not in between all 3 receivers. Or would the equipment not be fast enough to detect such minute differences?

You can measure arrival times to incredible accuracy but atmospheric disturbances would be much larger than the difference in arrival time

GiTS said:
I understand the theory of radar but not aviation radar. It is my understanding they can find an objects position in the x, y, and z axis simultaneously. How does that work?
Actually r, theta and phi, not x,y,z. Search and tracking are done with different modes, and sometimes by different radars. A search radar sweeps a beam which might be large. Air traffic control radars use an antenna shaped like a part of a cylinder (or paraboloid). They're wide in the rotation direction to provide a narrow beam in azimuth angle phi, but short in height to provide a fan that covers from ground to high altitudes. Phi is read off from the antenna pointing angle when a target is detected.

On fighters or air defense radar, a track mode can be activated on a detected target. By using a large antenna (large compared to a wavelength), a pencil-thin beam is formed (a beamwidth of 1 degree is typical). Thus the theta and phi angles of any target illuminated by the beam are known, and distance is found by measuring pulse round-trip travel time.

For greater accuracy needed for targeting and fire control, a "monopulse beam" is used. The antenna is split vertically into two parts whose signals are subtracted to form a narrow null at boresight. A servo points the antenna in elevation to keep the signal nulled, which can be done with extremely high accuracy. The antenna is also divided horizontally for accurate phi pointing. At the same time, all four quadrants are added in phase for the regular radar mode already mentioned.

1. How does aviation radar detect objects in the sky?

Aviation radar works by sending out a high frequency radio wave in a specific direction. If this wave hits an object, it will bounce off of it and return to the radar. The radar then measures the time it takes for the wave to return and calculates the distance and location of the object.

2. What is the range of aviation radar?

The range of aviation radar can vary depending on the type of radar and its power, but typically it can detect objects up to several hundred kilometers away.

3. How does aviation radar handle bad weather conditions?

Aviation radar is designed to filter out any interference caused by bad weather conditions, such as rain or snow. This is done by adjusting the power, frequency, and pulse length of the radar wave to minimize the effects of the weather.

4. How does aviation radar detect and differentiate between different types of aircraft?

Aviation radar uses a technique called "primary surveillance radar" to detect any object in the sky, including aircraft. However, to differentiate between different types of aircraft, secondary surveillance radar is used. This type of radar relies on transponders installed on aircraft that transmit a unique identification code which is then received and displayed by the radar.

5. Can aviation radar be used to track military aircraft?

Yes, aviation radar can be used to track military aircraft. However, military aircraft often use special techniques to avoid detection, such as flying at low altitudes, using stealth technology, or jamming radar signals. Additionally, some countries may have restricted airspace where military aircraft are not allowed to be tracked by civilian radars.