1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does current move

1. Apr 18, 2010 #1
    Hi, I was wondering am I correct to say that in a circuit, more current will flow in the path where the resistance is the least? If an inductor and a resistor are connected in parallel to a battery with the inductor initially uncharged. The current passing through the inductor will rise slowly to a certain value correct? But how do we find the current passing through the inductor? I tried using Kirchoff's law and got these three equations-
    I2R=E
    I3+I2=I1
    -I2R+L(dI3/dt)=0

After some algebra I got -I1R+I3R+L(dI3/dt)=0 which gives me I3(t)=-I1[1-e-(Rt/L)]. Is this correct? This equation suggests after the inductor is charged up the current will not flow through the resistor?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2010 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Because of conservation of charge, you can't have current moving at different rates across a resistor and an inductor in a series. Currents can only differ if the circuit is in parallel (or for a capacitor...since capacitors store charge - currents don't actually move across capacitors).

4. Apr 18, 2010 #3
    Sorry I meant to say parallel circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook