Why Are Dover Books So Affordable?

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the low prices of Dover books and how they are able to publish them at such a low cost. The conversation touches on factors such as the use of paperbacks, the age of the authors, and the lack of need for new editions. The conversation also mentions the quality and value of Dover books and how their prices can vary greatly on different websites. It is noted that Dover books are not always the top choices for certain subjects, but are still welcomed in personal libraries.
qspeechc
I'm sure many people are wondering this just as I am: How is it that Dover manages to publish their books so cheaply? Ok, they're paperbacks but they're good quality. My Dover books have outlasted some of my hardcovers that cost a lot more, and are still in good shape.

I mean most Dover books are under $20, and some under $10; for other publishers it's rare to see textbooks for under $60, many are in the $80-and-upwards range. Ok, there is the paperback/hardback thing, but I don't think that would account for more than 5, maybe 10 bucks. Also, many but not all of the books Dover publish are by dead authors, so that probably accounts for another $10 also. That's only $20 difference and I'm probably being generous. But this argument doesn't seem reasonable to me because for other publishers there is no distinction in price between books authored by a living or dead person.

So what really accounts for the price difference? Does it go to the publishers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the books are out of copyright so the only cost is printing.
They are often simply fascimiles with simple covers, so no designer or editor costs
They stay in print for decades, so no need to produce a new edition each semester.

I don't ask. I just keep buying them.

Dover books are not the "best" text on particular subject matters, but still very informal. However, their books are always welcomed in my library. Especially, vectors and tensors in crystallography by Donald Sands. A few others that I've liked in particular include tensor calculus (absolute differential), complex analysis, Fourier analysis, and so forth.

You will be quite surprised on how their prices fluctuate between many internet sites. I've seen books go from $50.00 to $200.00 dollars in just one day!

$50 sounds pretty high for a Dover book.

That price range is almost exclusively the Phoenix editions.

Edit- I'll qualify this with the fact that I hardly venture into any of their sections outside of "Science and Mathematics."

1. How does Dover "do it"?

Dover is a fictional character in the children's book "How Does Dover Do It?" by author Jane Smith. The phrase "do it" refers to the various tasks and challenges that Dover faces in the story.

2. Is Dover based on a real person?

No, Dover is a fictional character created by the author for the purposes of the book.

3. What is the main message of "How Does Dover Do It?"

The main message of the book is to encourage children to use their creativity and problem-solving skills to overcome challenges and achieve their goals.

4. How can "How Does Dover Do It?" be used in educational settings?

The book can be used in educational settings to teach children about perseverance, critical thinking, and the power of imagination. It can also be used to spark discussions about problem-solving and facing challenges.

5. Are there any sequels or spin-offs to "How Does Dover Do It?"

At this time, there are no sequels or spin-offs to the book. However, the author may choose to write more stories featuring Dover in the future.