1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does everyone

1. Apr 25, 2004 #1
    Learn their stuff?

Like what is your style for learning science/math/ or anything? Were you influenced by some book to change your learning habits? How and where did you learn to study efficiently? How do you read (active/passive)? Etc etc...

Just like to know how people find their own ways to understand stuff...

I work when I work! I do not when I do not...

I am influenced by some of the things I read... Other times I find those readings to be very practical and that the only things I really need to do is to do what I really need to do... But finding whats important to me has always been an issue... So once I establish a better sense of the self I begun to understand more...

Anyways... Any inputs?

Simply : Your study habit is ________?
    It is like that because _________

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2004 #2
    Usually accidently picking things up, although I can "force" myself to learn by going through problems.

It's like that because it um.... is?

Either way, after visiting for prefrosh weekend, I have a feeling that's going to change.

cookiemonster

4. Apr 26, 2004 #3
    where you going? and why would that change?

5. Apr 26, 2004 #4
  6. Apr 26, 2004 #5
    HA...Going to Caltech I see...

7. Apr 27, 2004 #6

ShawnD

Science Advisor

A few things of just general life experience changed my methods of learning

0. computer programming - always start counting at 0, not 1
    1. grade 12 math - sine and cosine should be interpreted as minimum and maximum, not as triangles.
    2. chemistry - if there is ever a shortcut, take it.
    3. physics - don't ever remember formulas, remember how to get those formulas.
    4. chemistry - don't use "common sense" to make a problem work, use proper signs in your math to make it work; if the math doesn't work out, you did something wrong.
    5. computer programming - always write down information the way you would with a computer or a calculator; it's surprising how many people understand what squiggly brackets ({ }) mean.
    6. physics - if the trig for a problem is too complicated, try rotating the problem
    7. biology - to help remember things you can't derive, try to mention them in conversation when intoxicated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?