How can I become a millionaire in 20 years without traditional methods?

• Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
I should have read the fine print.In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of making money in the remaining 20 years of one's life, with the goal of leaving a legacy for their children. The options discussed include investing and saving, starting a business, and collecting small amounts of money over time. The advantages and disadvantages of a lifestyle focused on experiences rather than material possessions are also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the current state of the economy and the uncertainty of relying on traditional investments for wealth building.
N_Quire
OK, I have at most 20 healthy and very active years left of my life. I want to bank at least $1 million in that time. I know that money doesn't necessarily make you happy but I want to see if I can be good at making money and leave something for my kids and grandkids.

What do I need to do to start making lots of money from today? I don't want to get bored in the process (I hate business and office work and meetings). I don't want to have to have a staff and I don't want to have to go and get an MBA.

How does getting rich work if you are not from an already rich family or clan?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sensei and Greg, Thanks for the advice. I have had a very active and international life so far and haven't given much thought to career or owning stuff. In fact, I can't get worked up about owning stuff; it doesn't motivate me.

The advantages to this lifestyle approach are obvious: I have been able to live in half a dozen countries, haven't had to worry about valuable stuff in one country while I am living in another; I have enjoyed freedom and have learned that it is very hard to starve if you are comitted to do anything in order to be happy.

There are disadvantages too. I have not built up any savings (but there again, I have no debts, no credit card bills, no laons, etc), have a lousy pension plan and own only one piece of property and a bit of land in Europe (which is where I will go and live, if I suddenly become beggar poor).

Not so long ago, I suffered a severe back injury and this has, for the foreseeable future, stopped my active, globetrotting life. So I am having a rethink and have decided to use my remaining productive years to raise money to pass on to my family when I pass on. I don't really need the money and I don't need to own more stuff but my children will all need a good education and I know that costs a lot of money.

Well

Well, most people rely on the price of their houses to go up to build equity. I don’t think that will work very well now in the near future.
I suppose if you have a good salary and save a lot and place it in good investments you may make your million. I haven’t worked out the exact compound interest but if you were to put aside $2000 a month for the next twenty years I recon that would make your million (you would save 480 000 and the compounding will hopefully get you the rest...).

Alternatively, if you were to have an idea for a product or service and were to start a business you could make a lot more by the time you sell... but this carries a much higher degree of uncertainty.
Cheers and good luck, I am in the same situation!

Last edited by a moderator:
The good news is that you do not need a lot of money to attend college in Europe and you probably get a very low interest loan for this in any case, so your children may not need your money!

Thread necromancy!

LOL! I didn't even notice. I moved it out of Engineering... was wondering why Greg responded to something obviouly way out of place! 2003 was a different era!

Collect one penny off the street today.

Collect two pennies off the street tomorrow.

Collect four pennies off the street the day after that.

Repeat, doubling the number of pennies you collect each day.

You'll be rich before you know it.

Dang! I can't believe I just told you that for free! I should have put that in a book!

A penny here, a penny there and before you know it you've got two cents.

Robin Hood Dialogue from Time Bandits

Robin Hood: The poor are going to be absolutely thrilled. Have you met them at all?
Randall: Who?
Robin Hood: The poor.
Randall: The poor?
Robin Hood: Oh you must meet them. I'm sure you'll like them. Of course they haven't got two pennies to rub together but that's because... [nudges Randall] they're poor.
[Merry men behind Robin Hood indicate to Bandits and onlookers that they should laugh hysterically]
Robin Hood: Oh yes and believe you me, the poor are going to be, well not just absolutely thrilled, but also considerably less poor, aren't they Redgrave?
Redgrave: [Gibberish]
Robin Hood: You see- what did he say?
Marion: He says yeah, what with Christmas coming up and all.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Time_Bandits

Buy the house you rent for college housing. Charge your roommates rent to cover the mortgage. When you finish school, buy an additional multi-family house and rent the other part to cover the mortgage, move again and rent out the other part you lived in, buy another multi family house and do the same...

My nephew did that and now he owns about 50 properties including, a couple of ocean front hotels and several half million dollar vacation homes. He currently oversees management of his properties (he has rental companies doing the actual management tasks).

When you go out shoot'in for some food, aim at the ground 'cause that's where "...up through the ground comes-a-bubblin crude." Over $98 a barrel for the stuff today.

Is the US economy even going to be around in twenty years? With all the crises looming, such as oil, water, and phosphorus shortages, will my 401k still exist?

BobG said:
Collect one penny off the street today.

Collect two pennies off the street tomorrow.

Collect four pennies off the street the day after that.

Repeat, doubling the number of pennies you collect each day.

You'll be rich before you know it.

Dang! I can't believe I just told you that for free! I should have put that in a book!

This doesn't work. I paid a nice man on the TV $299.98 for this plan. It came in a 3-ring binder that had several glossy pages inside with 3 cassette tapes. The plan always falls apart after day 20 to 23.

FredGarvin said:
Thread necromancy!

4 years 7 months, 28 days. I think that's a new record!

What happened to N_Quire, anyway?

Maybe he was re_quired elsewhere.

chemisttree said:
This doesn't work. I paid a nice man on the TV $299.98 for this plan. It came in a 3-ring binder that had several glossy pages inside with 3 cassette tapes. The plan always falls apart after day 20 to 23.

I know what you mean. If I could have made it to day 21, I would have had enough money to pay for the hernia operation I needed after day 19.

Asking Price Hernia Repair[/url]

It just simply amazes me that pennies could be that worthless.

chemisttree said:
You went about it all wrong. Collect a penny in half a day, the next penny in a quarter of a day, then a penny in an eighth of a day, and so on, you'll be infinitely rich at the end of the day.

jimmysnyder said:
You went about it all wrong. Collect a penny in half a day, the next penny in a quarter of a day, then a penny in an eighth of a day, and so on, you'll be infinitely rich at the end of the day.

Better yet, it will be an infinitely long day. You'll live forever! Kind of like Sisyphus.

BobG said:
Better yet, it will be an infinitely long day. You'll live forever! Kind of like Sisyphus.
Oh dear, what have I done. No it won't make the day last any longer. It's still a regulation 24 hour day.

I would highly suggest moving to Zimbabwe, and with your all powerful non-native currency, buy the country. Maybe wait a couple months for a more attractive price

Go to work for the right startup and work day and night and then cash in at the IPO.

Don't laugh, Bill Gates created over 10,000 millionaires with Microsoft.

1. How does earning a lot of money lead to being rich?

Earning a lot of money is one aspect of getting rich, but it is important to also have a solid financial plan in place. This means saving and investing wisely, as well as managing expenses and debt.

2. Can anyone become rich?

While anyone has the potential to become rich, it is not a guarantee. Factors such as education, opportunities, and luck can all play a role in achieving wealth.

3. Is it necessary to have a high-paying job to get rich?

Having a high-paying job can certainly help, but it is not the only way to get rich. Other avenues such as entrepreneurship, investing, and real estate can also lead to wealth.

4. Are there risks involved in trying to get rich?

As with any pursuit, there are always risks involved in trying to get rich. It is important to carefully assess and manage these risks to increase the chances of success.

5. How long does it take to get rich?

The amount of time it takes to get rich varies for each individual. Factors such as starting point, financial strategies, and luck can all impact the timeline. Generally, it takes consistent effort and dedication over a period of years to achieve wealth.