How Google Works: The Incredible Power Behind its Search Engine

In summary, Google's search feature is able to search the entire internet in a fraction of a second due to their large Linux cluster and use of "spider" bots to index and narrow down results based on user keywords. This technology was discussed in the founder's PhD thesis and more information can be found on Google's technology page and Wikipedia.
Rabid
The search feature on my computer can take up to a minute and google can search the entire internet in a fraction of a second. How does it do that?

Even with everything archived, it seems like the processing power needed to run such a search engine would be astronomical.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Rabid said:
Even with everything archived, it seems like the processing power needed to run such a search engine would be astronomical.

http://www.googleguide.com/google_works.html

They also have an article on their latest search result query system here http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Google has a really large linux cluster based on commodity hardware.

Simple Answer :: Google Owns.

But if I were to take a guess, I would say that google does not search the entire internet. But narrows down the search via your keywords. I am not exatly sure of that, however.

Yes, Google uses "spider" bots to "crawl" portions of the Internet to index sites, along with their keywords.

Rabid said:
The search feature on my computer can take up to a minute and google can search the entire internet in a fraction of a second. How does it do that?

The Founder's Ph.d. Thesis is out there. it discuses the tech he ended up using in building google. I forget the name of the paper. some one used it as a presentation topic in my seminar class.

1. How does Google's search engine work?

Google's search engine uses a process called crawling and indexing to gather information from websites and store it in a massive database. When a user enters a search query, Google's algorithm uses this database to find the most relevant and useful results to display.

2. What is Google's algorithm?

Google's algorithm is a complex set of rules and calculations that determine which web pages should be displayed for a given search query. It takes into account factors such as the relevance, quality, and authority of a website's content.

3. How does Google determine the ranking of search results?

Google uses a combination of over 200 factors to determine the ranking of search results. These include the relevance and quality of content, the website's authority, and the user's search history and location.

4. How frequently does Google update its search algorithm?

Google updates its search algorithm on a regular basis, with major updates occurring a few times a year. However, smaller updates and tweaks are made more frequently to improve the accuracy and relevance of search results.

5. How does Google prevent spam and fraudulent websites from ranking high in search results?

Google has various measures in place to prevent spam and fraudulent websites from ranking high in search results. These include manual reviews, automatic filters, and algorithms that can detect suspicious or low-quality content. Google also relies on user feedback and reports to identify and penalize such websites.