1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does Grad School EE work?

  1. Jul 18, 2007 #1
    How does Grad School EE work? I don't want to go for a PhD, and I've been hearing about a Masters without a thesis option? I just want to take the courses and not really do any research.

    I'm kind of confused on how the system works. Also, if I go the route where I don't have to do a thesis (if such exists), how long does it usually take, on average?


    Also, when applying for admission to a MBA school, will it matter that I only have a BS or BS & MS, and leadership experience in both cases?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2007 #2


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Most schools (probably 90%) grant the MSEE with no thesis requirement. Most schools require approximately 40-50 units of classes for a master's. You should be able to complete an MSEE in about two years, attending full-time.

    - Warren
  4. Jul 18, 2007 #3
    There are usually two options for an MSEE - one with a large course requirement and one that requires a thesis.

    I was told that if you ever want to go for a PhD, you should do the thesis option. If you are just pursuing an MSEE and are planning on working and not going for any more schooling, the non-thesis option is the way to go.

    I think that the non-thesis MSEE option would be a good path for someone who is working while going to grad school - i.e. not a full time graduate student.
  5. Jul 18, 2007 #4
    I see. I've heard of a few people completing their MSEE in 1 year, going fulltime to college. True?
  6. Jul 18, 2007 #5
    I'm not an engineer, but wouldn't doing a thesis be something right up an engineer's alley? I mean isn't it getting in there and designing something with your own ideas (and the help of an advisor) the most interesting part of engineering?
  7. Jul 19, 2007 #6
    Yep, they're called R&D engineers and they have doctorates (done a thesis).
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook