Gravity Explained Simply: What Makes Objects Attract?

In summary, objects are attracted to each other due to the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects, like the sun. This curvature causes objects to follow the shortest path, known as a geodesic, which is no longer a straight line. This is the basis for the force of gravity. The "depressed blanket" analogy does not fully explain this concept, but can be helpful in visualizing the distortion of space and time.
samblohm
I won't understand anything complex so try to be as simple as possible. If gravity is like putting an object on a blanket, so it makes the object attracted to the center, what pushes on the object to make it go to the object that it is attracted to. (I can't explain what I am saying any better. Basically i tried to say what pushes on you.)

Physics news on Phys.org
edit: disregard. I was mistaken.

Last edited:
Nothing pushes anything. The key concept here is that objects want to travel the shortest distance between two points. Like you said, gravity can be thought of as putting an object on a blanket such that it distorts (curves) the blanket. Anything moving nearby follows the shortest path, which is no longer a straight line because the blanket is curved. These shortest lines are called geodesics, and gravity is simply a result of the fact that mass produces curved geodesics.

samblohm said:
I won't understand anything complex so try to be as simple as possible. If gravity is like putting an object on a blanket, so it makes the object attracted to the center, what pushes on the object to make it go to the object that it is attracted to.
The depressed blanket doesn't explain mass attraction. For better visualizations including time and geodesics follow the links in this post:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2046692&postcount=4

samblohm said:
I won't understand anything complex so try to be as simple as possible. If gravity is like putting an object on a blanket, so it makes the object attracted to the center, what pushes on the object to make it go to the object that it is attracted to. (I can't explain what I am saying any better. Basically i tried to say what pushes on you.)
An object no matter what, moves through space and time (unless your thinking of parallel universes) because that's the way it is. if it does't i have no idea what it moves through because every thing is space and time. so a very massive object (i'm using a massive object because that's when gravity is really effective) like the sun warps this "fabric" of space and time, (you can think of space and time as a 2D fabric like the sheet on a trampoline). so an example would be a bowling ball on the trampoline and when an object like a tennis ball representing the Earth moves on this fabric it will move on it even if it curves or "warps" (or else it would be in midair). so if the sun curves spacetime, the Earth will move on it because again then it wouldn't be traveling through spacetime. that's how gravity works, and i hope that helps but if not then read a oversimplified version of general relativity. and for the blanket on the object thing that you talked about, what's pushing you or the object is the fact that your traveling through spacetime and if it curves because of a massive object then you should travel through the curved space time which in fact makes you attracted towards the object.

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural force that causes objects with mass to attract each other. It is the force that holds the planets in orbit around the sun and keeps us grounded to the Earth.

2. Why do objects attract each other?

Objects attract each other because of their mass. The more mass an object has, the stronger its gravitational pull. This means that objects with larger masses will attract each other more strongly than objects with smaller masses.

3. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by bending the fabric of space and time. This bending is caused by the mass of objects, and it creates a force that pulls objects towards each other. The more massive an object is, the more it bends the fabric of space and the stronger its gravitational pull.

4. Does gravity only exist on Earth?

No, gravity exists everywhere in the universe. It is a fundamental force that affects all objects with mass, regardless of their location or size.

5. Is gravity constant?

No, gravity is not constant. Its strength depends on the distance between two objects and the mass of those objects. The farther apart two objects are, the weaker their gravitational pull on each other will be. Additionally, the strength of gravity changes depending on the mass of the objects involved.