Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How Does Holographic Memory Work

1. Aug 27, 2004 #1

Staff Emeritus

I found this press release just yesterday and I'm curious to know how it works:

In Figure 1:

-Substrate 2 is just a protective cover for the cd.
    -The photo polymer is the recording layer, but which wavelength(color) is actually causing the polymerization for writing? And which one is reading the hologram?
    -The gap layers are just there to seperate the dichroic mirror.
    -The dichoric mirror is basically a wavelength filter that either reflects light or allows light to pass through.
    -Substrate 1 is just the shiny part of the cd that prevents the light from escaping. Why does the aluminum reflection layer have pits?
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus

Can anyone answer my questions?
  4. Aug 28, 2004 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The high frequency light source (blue) is used for writing (recording interference patterns) and reading these patterns. The low frequency light source (red) will be transmitted to the servo/tracking information etched on the aluminum reflector. Hence, "...preformatted address pits generate diffusion noise during read / write, thus deteriorate the signal quality", will be eliminated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?