Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How does hot ice exist?

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    So I've heard that increasing pressure in water would make the molecules more compact and then eventually become a solid. So it's possible to have hot ice.

But isn't it also true that as pressure increases, the temperature increases as well. For example, if I increase the force per volume, the average kinetic energy should increase because the force increased. So in hot ice, the kinetic energy should be higher, so how would it be in a solid form? Perhaps there is something I'm not understanding. Would it just be a vibrating solid?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2016 #2
    If you compress something it gets hotter, but heat can radiate away.
    You then have the compressed something in a denser state, but at it's original temperature

4. Dec 15, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Unlike most liquids water expands when it forms conventional ice but other forms of ice with different structures can exist that are smaller than water.

You can control the pressure and temperature of something independently. What happens is described in a phase diagram (graph of pressure vs temperature)..

Google found..

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience...ter_is_compressed_enough_would_it_turn_solid/

5. Dec 15, 2016 #4
    instead of comparing it to ice, imagine it as instead going from water to gelatin to a solid form of gelatin. thats the best I can do to explain it without giving you a headache. you are correct with the fact that as it gets more compressed it would get warmer but the heat would radiate away eventually. leaving you with "hot" ice.

6. Dec 15, 2016 #5
    What about ringwoodite?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted