How Does Spinning Top with LEDs Work?

• Thread starter ramonegumpert
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation is about a top with LEDs that light up when spun. The top has a small circuit powered by 3 button cells and can only be turned on when spun due to centrifugal force and spring-loaded contacts. The top may also have centrifugal switches that turn on the power as it rotates. When shaken by hand, the top makes a rattling sound which could be the switches.
ramonegumpert
Hello Experts,

I bought a top that has LEDs blinking when you spin it. It does not light up when not spun.

This is the top I am referring to :

I opened the top and see a small circuit that is powered by 3 button cells.
I tried to find out how it turns on the circuit. I realize only when i spin the top will the circuit be energised.

I thought the spinning mechanism contains a coil or magnet. I used a magnet to check if there is magnetism and found none is present.

If i shake the top with my hand, it does no light up.
Only if it is spun will it work.
The harder it is spun, the more electricity seems to go through the circuit as the 3rd blue LED only lights up when spun at higher speed.

I wonder how does it work? Could you advice what could be the mechanism?

sincerely
Ramone

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Probably just centrifugal force and spring-loaded contacts.

It may have centrifugal switches to turn on the power as the toy rotates . Power could come from the batteries.
These are just a weight that swings outwards when there is rotation and, when it does this, it turns on a switch.

Last edited:
Thank you for enlightening vk6kr0 and russ watters!
Yes, i hear rattling sound when the top is shaken by hand. I suppose those are the switches.

Have a great day!

sincerely
Ramone

1. How do the LEDs light up when the top spins?

The spinning top with LEDs works by utilizing a circuit, which is a closed loop of conductive materials that allows electricity to flow. Inside the top, there is a battery that provides the necessary energy for the LEDs to light up. When the top spins, it completes the circuit, allowing electricity to flow from the battery to the LEDs, causing them to light up.

2. What type of battery is used in the spinning top with LEDs?

The spinning top with LEDs typically uses a small button cell battery, such as a CR2032 battery. This type of battery is small and lightweight, making it suitable for use in the spinning top. It also has a long-lasting power supply, allowing the LEDs to light up for an extended period.

3. How are the LEDs attached to the spinning top?

The LEDs are usually attached to the spinning top using small wires that are connected to the circuit. The wires are carefully placed on the spinning top's surface, ensuring that they do not interfere with the top's spinning motion. Some spinning tops may also have the LEDs embedded directly into the top's body.

4. Can I change the color of the LEDs in the spinning top?

Yes, you can change the color of the LEDs in the spinning top by using different colored LEDs or attaching colored filters over the LEDs. Some spinning tops may also have a switch or button that allows you to change the LED color while the top is spinning.

5. How do the LEDs turn off when the top stops spinning?

The LEDs turn off when the top stops spinning because the circuit is broken, and electricity can no longer flow from the battery to the LEDs. This happens because the spinning top's motion completes the circuit, and when it stops, the circuit is no longer complete, causing the LEDs to turn off.