NMR: How Does It Work? Confused by 2 Explanations

• Thread starter CrimpJiggler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nmr Work
In summary, NMR works by aligning the spins of protons with the external magnetic field, and then applying radio waves with energy equal to the Larmor frequency causes the protons to absorb the energy and wobble around the axis of the magnetic field. This wobbling is not a spin flip, but rather a rotation of the spin in the x-y plane. This is due to the quantum mechanical nature of spins and their ability to exist in superposition states.
CrimpJiggler
I've read two different explanations so I'm confused. The way I thought NMR works is that the protons spins align with the external magnetic field, then the RF radiation applied causes the spins to flip from -1/2 to 1/2, if the frequency of the radio waves are equal to the energy difference between these two spin states.

Now I read a different explanation which has me confused. Here:
http://www.simplyphysics.com/page2_4.html
it says that the protons actually wobble around the axis of the external magnetic field, and when you apply radio waves with energy equal to the frequency of this wobbling (Larmor frequency), then the protons absorb it. Which is it? Is it the energy difference between the two spin states, or is it the energy of the Larmor frequency? According to this animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YBUSOrH0lw&list=PLC40660311CD1C353
the absorbed RF energy causes the magnetic vector axis to drop to the XY plane, so that it is now tangent to the axis of the external magnetic field. This clearly isn't the same thing as a spin flip, so I'm confused.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Both descriptions are correct but it is not so easy to explain why without a basic understanding of quantum mechanics. The point is that as long as you don't explicitly analyze whether a given spin point up or down, it can also be in a superposition which corresponds to the spin pointing at least partially somewhere into the x-y plane. This is not an energy eigenstate, so it will evolve in time. Actually this turns out to a revolution of the axis of the spin in the x-y plane, i.e. the wobbling with the Lamor frequency. Now if the spin interacts with radiation you change that superposition and rotate the spin into or out of the x-y plane.

What is NMR?

NMR stands for nuclear magnetic resonance and is a scientific technique used to study the properties of atoms and molecules by measuring their response to a magnetic field.

How does NMR work?

NMR works by placing a sample in a strong magnetic field and then bombarding it with radio waves. The atoms in the sample absorb the energy from the radio waves and release it as a signal that can be measured and analyzed.

What is the purpose of NMR?

NMR is used in a variety of scientific fields, including chemistry, biochemistry, and medicine. It can provide information about the structure, dynamics, and interactions of molecules, making it a valuable tool for research and diagnosis.

How is NMR different from MRI?

NMR and MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) both use the same principles of nuclear magnetic resonance, but they have different applications. NMR is used for studying small molecules, while MRI is used for imaging larger structures like tissues and organs in the body.

Why are there different explanations for how NMR works?

Different explanations for how NMR works may exist because it is a complex technique that can be understood from different perspectives. Some explanations may focus on the physics behind NMR, while others may focus on the practical applications in specific fields of study.