How does one become the speaker of the house, along with the minority/majority leader

• News
  • Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Anyone care to enlighten?

Answers and Replies

kat
"The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker and other officers..." In practice, this amounts to the speaker's election from the sitting house members. The speaker is thus almost always elected along strictly partisan lines, and is thus a member of the House's majority party. (The Speaker need not, by the Constitutional provision stated above, be a member of the House, but to date has always been one). A Representative who does not vote for his or her party's leader as Speaker may be deprived of committee assignments. Once elected, a Speaker is sworn in by the Dean of the House.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_of_the_United_States_House_of_Representatives

Man, it's really scary how little I know about how my government operates, I hope American History next year will go into depths about the constitution...

loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
When you take US Government your senior year, you should be made to memorize the constitution.

loseyourname said:
When you take US Government your senior year, you should be made to memorize the constitution.
Sounds good.