How does one change the isotope of an element?

In summary, if you want to turn Palladium-102 into Palladium-103, you can do it either with a neutron bombardment or with a linear accelerator. Neither is particularly efficient, but they both work.
ScienceKid2005
Sorry if this is the wrong subforum i am new here

How could one turn Palladium-102 into palladium-103? Would you take a cyclotron and hit it with neutrons? Or would you take Rhodium-103 and hit it with protons? The only reason I ask is because it has a half life of 17 days, and because of that nobody would sell it. I was going to use it in an experiment.

Also if it turns out to be hitting it with protons, would using a linear accelerator work?

Once again I'm new sorry if this is the wrong thread

Physics news on Phys.org
ScienceKid2005 said:
How could one turn Palladium-102 into palladium-103? Would you take a cyclotron and hit it with neutrons? Or would you take Rhodium-103 and hit it with protons?

I think either would work. I'm not sure which one is quicker or more efficient though.

ScienceKid2005 said:
. I was going to use it in an experiment.

If you're planning on making it yourself, don't even think about it. Particle accelerators have multiple hazards associated with them that make them extremely dangerous without the proper experience and equipment. And that's before you factor in the dangers of radioactive material.

ScienceKid2005 said:
Sorry if this is the wrong subforum i am new here

How could one turn Palladium-102 into palladium-103? Would you take a cyclotron and hit it with neutrons? Or would you take Rhodium-103 and hit it with protons? The only reason I ask is because it has a half life of 17 days, and because of that nobody would sell it. I was going to use it in an experiment.

Also if it turns out to be hitting it with protons, would using a linear accelerator work?
p,n reactions are possible, but I thought them unpleasantly inefficient. Yet they are used. I am not sure cyclotron is a good means for neutron flux, but turns out it is used.
If you applied, say, neutron flux of reactor...
Natural Pd isotopes:
102 - 1,02 % - 3,4 barns - result Pd 103, half-life 17 days
104 - 11,1 % - 0,6 barns - result Pd-105, stable
105 - 22,3 % - 20 barns - result Pd-106, stable
106 - 27,3 % - 0,3 barns - result Pd-107, 6,5 million years
108 - 26,5 % - 8,5 barns - result Pd-109, 13 hours
110 - 11,7 % - 0,23 barns - result Pd-111, 5,5 hours

Put palladium-102 in a nuclear reactor.

If you have the necessary experience and equipment to work with Pd-103 safely you will also have access to research reactors that can do it.

ScienceKid2005 said:
because of that nobody would sell it.

People do sell it. The issue is that people won't sell it to you. Unless you have documentation that you have demonstrated to the appropriate regulators that you can handle it safely, nobody will sell you any. Just like poisons or explosives, or for that matter particle accelerators or nuclear reactors.

1. How do you change the isotope of an element?

To change the isotope of an element, you can use a process called nuclear transmutation. This involves bombarding the element with particles, such as protons or neutrons, to change its atomic structure and create a different isotope.

2. Can any element's isotope be changed?

Yes, any element's isotope can be changed through nuclear transmutation. However, the feasibility and efficiency of this process may vary depending on the element and the desired isotope.

3. What is the purpose of changing an element's isotope?

Changing an element's isotope can have various purposes, such as creating a more stable or radioactive isotope for medical or industrial use, or producing a specific isotope for scientific research.

4. Is changing an element's isotope safe?

The process of changing an element's isotope can involve radioactive materials and can pose potential hazards. Therefore, it should only be conducted by trained professionals in a controlled and regulated environment to ensure safety.

5. Can changing an element's isotope occur naturally?

Yes, changing an element's isotope can occur naturally through processes such as radioactive decay. However, the rate at which this happens is usually very slow and may not result in a significant change in the element's overall isotope composition.