How does one conjugate psi(x,0)

• Thread starter Noone1982
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conjugate
In summary, my professor told me that I can conjugate:\psi \left( x,0 \right)However, I am confused. There is no time dependence, there is no i. It is like sayingz = a + 0iz* = a - 0iIt is rather useless to even say that and it seems also useless to conjugate something with no i in it. Am I missing something fundamental?
Noone1982
I am perplexed. My professor told me that I can conjugate:

[itex]\psi \left( x,0 \right)[/itex]

However, I am confused. There is no time dependence, there is no i. It is like saying

z = a + 0i
z* = a - 0i

It is rather useless to even say that and it seems also useless to conjugate something with no i in it. Am I missing something fundamental?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is rather useless to even say that and it seems also useless to conjugate something with no i in it. Am I missing something fundamental?
Just because it's useless doesn't mean you can't do it.

But I don't see why you think [itex]\psi(x, 0)[/itex] is a purely real number. Why can't it be a complex number?

Why do I think it is a purely real number? It has no i in it. That probably seems like a silly answer as your post implies. Could you please enlighten me?

[itex]\psi[/itex] is a function. There's no reason it cannot take complex values.

For example, it might be defined as:

[tex]\psi(a, b) := 3 + 4i[/tex]

or

[tex]\psi(a, b) := b + a i[/tex]

or

[tex]\psi(a, b) := e^{i (b - a)}[/tex]

or any number of other things.

I realize that, but my professor says this can be conjugated:

[itex]\psi \left( x,0 \right)\; =\; \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin \left( \frac{2\pi x}{a} \right)[/itex]

I see no "i" in that. I therefore see no way to conjugate it.

Where a is meant to be positive, real number? (And, I guess, I'm assuming [itex]\psi[/itex] takes two real arguments)

Of course you can conjugate that; you had it right in your opening post. Just because it's "useless" doesn't mean you can't do it.

Yes, a is positive, real number. So:

[itex]\psi \cdot \psi \; =\; \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin \left( \frac{2\pi x}{a} \right)\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin \left( \frac{2\pi x}{a} \right)\; =\; \frac{2}{a}\sin ^{2}\left( \frac{2\pi x}{a} \right)[/itex]

The congugate of a real number, by the way, is the same number.

James, yes that is my point. Why did my professor act startled and perhaps a bit angry when I told him it seemed useless to conjugate that psi?

Because it's not really "useless". Just think: if you weren't allowed to conjugate purely real values, then you'd have to say:

The amplitude of the wave function, [itex]|\psi|^2[/itex], is given by [itex]\psi^* \psi[/itex], except at the values where [itex]\psi[/itex] is purely real, in which case it is given by [itex]\psi^2[/itex].

Just think of having to attach these caveats to just about everything you say... and when doing problems, having to break every step into two cases, one where the value happens to be purely real, and one where it isn't!

Everything would be a horrible nightmare! Aaaah!

1. How do you conjugate psi(x,0)?

To conjugate psi(x,0), you simply take the complex conjugate of the function psi(x,0). This means replacing each instance of the imaginary unit "i" with its negative counterpart "-i".

2. What is the purpose of conjugating psi(x,0)?

The purpose of conjugating psi(x,0) is to obtain the complex conjugate wavefunction, which is used in many quantum mechanics calculations. It allows us to find the probability amplitudes for a particle's position or momentum in a given state.

3. Can you conjugate a wavefunction with multiple variables?

Yes, you can conjugate a wavefunction with multiple variables. The process is the same as conjugating a single-variable wavefunction. Simply take the complex conjugate of the entire function, including all variables.

4. Is it necessary to conjugate psi(x,0) in all quantum mechanics calculations?

No, it is not necessary to conjugate psi(x,0) in all quantum mechanics calculations. It is only necessary when dealing with complex wavefunctions and calculating probabilities or expectation values.

5. How does conjugating psi(x,0) affect the overall wavefunction?

Conjugating psi(x,0) does not change the overall wavefunction. It simply changes the phase of the wavefunction, which can affect the calculated probabilities and expectation values. However, the physical properties of the system remain unchanged.