Graphing Eigenvectors and Sine Curves: Understanding the Relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvectors of a 2nd difference matrix and graphing them to see how they fall onto sine curves. There is some confusion over what the term "2nd difference matrix" means and how to graph the eigenvectors, but it is suggested that the vectors are coordinate vectors with respect to a basis of three functions. The problem and solution shown involve dividing the matrix by ##\sqrt 2## and using the resulting values to plot points on sine curves.
kostoglotov
In my text, it tells me to find the eigenvectors of a 2nd difference matrix and graph the eigenvectors to see how they fall onto sine curves.

oxbkTn6.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/oxbkTn6.jpg

My question is simple but general. What does this even mean? How did they produce this graph from the first two eigenvectors in the matrix on the left?

I tried in MATLAB to create an outer product of each vector with a time vector, but that plots straight lines.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what a "2nd difference matrix is". Is it related to (a discretision of) the Laplacian?

The only thing that I can imagine at this moment is that the matrix ##A## is a representation of some operator acting on a vector space spanned by a basis of three harmonics. The eigenvectors of ##A## will then be coordinate vectors with respect to that basis. You can then "graph" an eigenvector by actually first computing the linear combination of basis harmonics to which it corresponds, and then graphing that linear combination (= a function).

Krylov said:
I'm not sure what a "2nd difference matrix is". Is it related to (a discretision of) the Laplacian?

The only thing that I can imagine at this moment is that the matrix ##A## is a representation of some operator acting on a vector space spanned by a basis of three harmonics. The eigenvectors of ##A## will then be coordinate vectors with respect to that basis. You can then "graph" an eigenvector by actually first computing the linear combination of basis harmonics to which it corresponds, and then graphing that linear combination (= a function).

Yeah the text gives no explication as to what it means to graph these vectors, and it's not mentioned in the video lectures. It's actually a really good course but Gilbert Strang is definitely an academic not a teacher. Still, I can't complain, it's an entire linear algebra course for free. :) And having an informal, messy text has hidden benefits, it forces you to get answers elsewhere, which is a better way of learning really.

Draw a short "arrow" showing the direction and length of the vector at that point on the graph.

HallsofIvy said:
Draw a short "arrow" showing the direction and length of the vector at that point on the graph.

But the vectors have three elements, and are being graphs in 2 dimensions.

Likes S.G. Janssens
kostoglotov said:
But the vectors have three elements, and are being graphs in 2 dimensions.
You've never heard of two-dimensional vectors?

HallsofIvy said:
You've never heard of two-dimensional vectors?

Wow, ok, one last shot...how would I graph [itex][1,\sqrt{2},1][/itex] on a 2 dimensional plane? I've not seen how to do that before, but ok.

@kostoglotov : Are you sue these vectors aren't coordinate vectors with respect to some basis consisting of three functions? That is namely what the function graphs suggested to me.

Krylov said:
@kostoglotov : Are you sue these vectors aren't coordinate vectors with respect to some basis consisting of three functions? That is namely what the function graphs suggested to me.

Very possibly, the second difference matrix seems to be a matrix for the second finite difference, in a diff eqs section.

Thing is, it's possible I've followed the curriculum in the wrong order, because I haven't seen anything like this up until now. Maybe I should have done the later section on Fourier Transforms before getting to where I am now, since the syllabus skips around a bit.

Here is the entire problem:

EGO4q9D.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/EGO4q9D.jpg

and a bit more of the solution:

zBOhs0n.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/zBOhs0n.jpg

I think this is what they're doing in the solution. If you divide S by ##\sqrt 2##, you get
$$S/\sqrt{2} = \begin{bmatrix} 1/\sqrt{2} & 1 & 1/\sqrt{2} \\ 1 & 0 & -1 \\ 1/\sqrt{2} & -1 & 1/\sqrt{2} \end{bmatrix}.$$ The points marked on ##\sin t## correspond to the first row of this matrix. That is, evaluate ##\sin t## at ##t = \pi/4, \pi/2, 3\pi/4## and you get the values in the first row. Similarly, the points marked on ##\sin 2t## correspond to the second row.

Likes kostoglotov

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is commonly represented as an arrow on a graph, with the length of the arrow representing the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. How do I graph a vector?

To graph a vector, you will need to plot two points - the initial point and the terminal point. The distance between these points will represent the magnitude of the vector, and the direction of the arrow will indicate the direction of the vector. Make sure to label the axes and include a scale to accurately represent the magnitude of the vector.

3. Can a vector be graphed in more than two dimensions?

Yes, vectors can be graphed in three dimensions or even more, depending on the number of variables involved. In these cases, the vector is represented as a line or arrow in three-dimensional space, with the direction and magnitude determined by the coordinates of the initial and terminal points.

4. How do I find the magnitude of a vector on a graph?

To find the magnitude of a vector on a graph, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. This involves finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the components of the vector in each dimension. Alternatively, you can measure the distance between the initial and terminal points using a ruler or measuring tool.

5. What is the difference between a vector and a scalar?

A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. Scalars can be represented on a graph as a point, while vectors require two points to be plotted to fully represent them. Examples of scalars include temperature, speed, and mass, while examples of vectors include velocity, force, and displacement.