Decoding the Pronunciation of PNAS: A Guide for Scientists

• Thread starter RetardedBastard
  • Start date
In summary, there is some debate over how to pronounce PNAS, with suggestions ranging from "peenas" to "P.N.A.S." However, some feel that the proper pronunciation is "Proceedings of the NAS" or "pa NAS." Others have made jokes about the acronym, but this is not considered appropriate by all.
RetardedBastard
How does one pronounce PNAS (as in the "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences")? Do you guys call it "peenas?" Or do you guys drop the 'p' and just call it "Nas?" Or do you actually spell it out P.N.A.S.?

p.s. Please don't say that it's pronounced "Paper Not Accepteable by Science" :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, why not call it "pnas" with pronounced pn?

arildno said:
Well, why not call it "pnas" with pronounced pn?

BEcause women might be around :)

Well you are not to insert an "ee"-sound in between the p and the n.

Rather, you are to use the "praPNel" pn-sound at the start.

Besides, I'm gay, so I didn't get your comment.

I'd probably say "Proceedings of the NAS". If one use p - nas, then only someone familiar with the proceedings would understand about what one is talking.

Or one could accent the second syllable and say pa NAS, which sounds a bit like panache.

pee en ay ess

lol penis

• Wow
Likes SlipperyManBean
This sort of peurile humour belongs in Foch space.

Well, I was rather thinking of engineers with their thrusts, bolts and screws, but that can perhaps be accommodated within a Foch space as well.

lol penis-space

Gokul43201 said:
pee en ay ess

I just say all the letters like that if I'm not currently reading any articles in it. If I'm beating my head against the wall reading an article they've published, then it's more like Pain N Ay eSS. (Say it a few times if it's not immediately apparent.) :biggrin:

I pronounce it peenas. I never thought anything of it, or possible lewd connotations.

1. How do you pronounce PNAS?

PNAS is typically pronounced as "pee-nas" or "pee-en-ay-es".

2. Is PNAS an acronym or an initialism?

PNAS is an initialism, as it is pronounced as individual letters rather than forming a word.

3. What does PNAS stand for?

PNAS stands for "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences".

4. Why is PNAS pronounced differently from its acronym?

The pronunciation of PNAS is based on its original abbreviated form of "Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci." which was commonly read as "pee-nas".

5. Are there any other common pronunciations for PNAS?

Some people may also pronounce PNAS as "p-nas" or "pee-naws". However, "pee-nas" and "pee-en-ay-es" are the most widely accepted pronunciations.