Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1. Oct 7, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Pronounce it just the way it's spelled:=)
  4. Oct 7, 2005 #3
    You already made it easy for yourself by separating it into smaller portions. :)
  5. Oct 7, 2005 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The p in front is silent, and "pneumono" would be pronounced just like pneumonia except the "ya" or "eeya" (depending on your accent), would be replaced with "o" as in "oh no!" (pneumo can mean things related to lungs, or a rod-shaped bacteria...given the length and content of the rest of the word, I'm going to guess it's a bacteria). Ultra Microscopic (pronounce them just like the individual words...microscopic meaning smaller than you can see with the naked eye, and ultra emphasizing even smaller than that...teeny tiny. Silico just like in "silicone sealer" (i.e., long "o" at the end), meaning contains silicon. Volcano would be pronounced closer to "vulcanized" (as in the rubber) than the thing that spews lava (not sure the meaning in this word...either something that comes from a volcano, or found in other extreme temperatures I guess). Coniosis would be broken down to the syllables: co- (not sure if it would be a long or short O...maybe long, like in co-worker), -ni- (like knee), -o- (definitely a long O on this one), -sis (just like sister). (not sure that the coni part means, but any -osis or -iosis usually implies a pathology/illness/disease of some sort).

So, you have a disease caused by a teeny, tiny, rod-shaped bacteria that either has silcon incorporated into its cells or lives in an environment with a concentration of silicon...perhaps the latter, being a hot/volcanic location. That's a guess!
  6. Oct 7, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Just shorten it to pultravulcanosis.
    That's what I always do. :approve:
  7. Oct 10, 2005 #6
    that is the longest word in the english language Im told
  8. Oct 11, 2005 #7
    Pseudopneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis? Slightly longer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?