1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does one solve this Taylor problem?

1. Apr 18, 2017 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical math forums, so no HH Template is shown >

I got my test back and was unable to ask the professor, but how does one solve this problem specifically? I am posting an image of the entire page so you can see my original answers. I just don't know how you determine from the graph and all.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2017 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Nowhere in your work are you using the given information that this is a Taylor polynomial, which is defined in terms of the function f and its derivatives. Because it's given that the polynomial is centered at 0, and since the Taylor polynomial is of degree 3, the polynomial will be in terms of f(0), f'(0), f''(0), and f'''(0).

The a) part has nothing to do with a minimum point on the graph. It has everything to do with the fact that the graph has a y-intercept of -2. The b) part has to do with what is the coefficient of x in the Taylor polynomial.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  4. Apr 19, 2017 #3
    Does every question that's asks about the first coefficient deal with finding a y intercept? Also for part b: what are the necessary steps to obtain the coefficient? I guess I am confused on how you find solid numbers when given a polynomial with just letters and x. Thanks for the help your giving btw.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  5. Apr 19, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That's too broad a question to answer with a yes or no.
    You are given that ##T_3(x) = a + bx + cx^2 + dx^3##. If you were given an equation y = f(x), what is theTaylor polynomial of degree 3?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted