How can I solve this exponential equation with variables in the exponent?

• Thread starter chiako
  • Start date
In summary, solving exponential equations with variables in the exponent involves using logarithms to isolate the variable and then solving for it. The key steps include taking the logarithm of both sides, using properties of logarithms to simplify the equation, and then solving for the variable using algebraic techniques. The process may vary depending on the specific equation, but these steps provide a general approach to solving exponential equations with variables in the exponent.
chiako
Hello. This problem was presented to me and I can't figure out for the life of me how to solve it.

2^x + 3^x = 50

I know the answer is approximately 3.35, thanks to WolframAlpha, but I don't know of any steps to arrive at this.

ln(2^x + 3^x) = ln(50)

How do you solve for ln(a+b) in this regard when a and b have a variable as their exponent?

Using ln(a+b) = ln(a((b/a)+1) = ln(a) + ln((b/a)+1) just gets me running in circles.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You might simplify the problem by doing

[tex]3^x=2^{\log_2(3)x}=(2^x)^{\log_2(3)}[/tex]

Put in a dummy variable [itex]y=2^x[/itex], then your equation becomes

[tex]y+y^{\log_2(3)}=50[/tex]

Sadly, I see no way of solving this equation algebraically. I think you'll be forced to apply numerical methods here...

try the identity a^x = e^[x*ln(a)] perhaps? would get everything to the same base.

It can not be solved explicitly

use Newtons approximation method where x_0 = 3

Nebuchadnezza said:
It can not be solved explicitly

use Newtons approximation method where x_0 = 3

I have been trying to solve this all day on paper, going through step-by-step, but I am obviously doing it wrong.

[tex]f(x) = 2^x + 3^x - 50[/tex]
[tex]f'(x) = 2^x \log(2) + 3^x \log(3)[/tex]
[tex]x_0 = 3[/tex]

[tex]x_{n+1} = x_0 - \frac{f(x_0)}{f'(x_0)}[/tex]
[tex]x_1 = 3 - \frac{2^3 + 3^3 - 50}{2^3 \log(2) + 3^3 \log(3)} \approx 3.9810[/tex]WRONG
[tex]x_2 = 3.9810 - \frac{2^{3.9810} + 3^{3.9810} - 50}{2^{3.9810} \log(2) + 3^{3.9810} \log(3)} \approx 2.9220[/tex] WRONG
[tex]x_3 = 2.9220 - \frac{2^{2.9220} + 3^{2.9220} - 50}{2^{2.9220} \log(2) + 3^{2.9220} \log(3)} \approx 4.1724[/tex] WRONG

As you can see, all I manage to do is get further and further AWAY from the approximate answer of 3.35. What did I do wrong when setting this up?

I have been using http://www.math.sc.edu/cgi-bin/sumcgi/Newton.pl to check my answers.

X[1] = 3.42075400369499
X[2] = 3.35520839663614
X[3] = 3.3528278249362

EDIT, with fixed calculator:
[tex]x_{n+1} = x_0 - \frac{f(x_0)}{f'(x_0)}[/tex]
[tex]x_1 = 3 - \frac{2^3 + 3^3 - 50}{2^3 \log(2) + 3^3 \log(3)} \approx 3.4260[/tex]
[tex]x_2 = 3.4260 - \frac{2^{3.4260} + 3^{3.4260} - 50}{2^{3.4260} \log(2) + 3^{3.4260} \log(3)} \approx 3.3555[/tex]
[tex]x_3 = 3.3555 - \frac{2^{3.3555} + 3^{3.3555} - 50}{2^{3.3555} \log(2) + 3^{3.3555} \log(3)} \approx 3.3528[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like you need to check your calculator because I get that

[itex] x_0 = 3[/itex] and [itex] x_1 \, \approx \, 3.4260 [/itex]

I just tried this and got a good approximation after just two iterations

Regards.

Nebuchadnezza said:
Seems like you need to check your calculator because I get that

[itex] x_0 = 3[/itex] and [itex] x_1 \, \approx \, 3.4260 [/itex]

I just tried this and got a good approximation after just two iterations

Regards.

Derp. That was it. It was my calculator. Thank you! Then, I was doing it right all along. I just popped the corrected answer into each of those and came out with the proper answer. :)

chiako said:
[tex]x_1 = 3 - \frac{2^3 + 3^3 - 50}{2^3 \log(2) + 3^3 \log(3)} \approx 3.9810[/tex]

You've been using log base 10, you need to use the natural logarithm, probably ln on your calculator.

Al3ks said:
You've been using log base 10, you need to use the natural logarithm, probably ln on your calculator.

It was actually a formatting error in my entry into the calculator. Thank you, though.

Fixed point iteration is sometimes useful when all you have at hand is a basic calculator scientific calculator. All you require is one that has an "ans" button (or equiv) and the ability to repeat the previous calculation (for example in my case each time I press "equals").

For example, on my cheap Casio (very basic scientific calc) the following key presses gets me the answer to 10 significant digits in about 20 seconds.

3.5 =
ln(50 - 2^ans)/ln 3 =
= = = = = = = = = =

Gives the answer : 3.352823623

Last edited:
uart said:
Fixed point iteration is sometimes useful when all you have at hand is a basic calculator scientific calculator. All you require is one that has an "ans" button (or equiv) and the ability to repeat the previous calculation (for example in my case each time I press "equals").

For example, on my cheap Casio (very basic scientific calc) the following key presses gets me the answer to 10 significant digits in about 20 seconds.

3.5 =
ln(50 - 2^ans)/ln 3 =
= = = = = = = = = =

Gives the answer : 3.352823623

I wasn't so much concerned with doing the answer on the calculator, as to figuring out how the calculator arrived at that answer. I wanted to know the process behind it, which was arrived at with Netwon's Method. Thank you for the post, though.

chiako said:
I wasn't so much concerned with doing the answer on the calculator, as to figuring out how the calculator arrived at that answer. I wanted to know the process behind it, which was arrived at with Netwon's Method. Thank you for the post, though.

Yeah it's all about recognizing that the equation requires a numerical solution and then using an appropriate numerical method. Newtons method was a good choice for a function like that which is easy to differentiate.

I only mentioned the "fixed point method" as a matter of passing interest. In general it's not a very good algorithm, slower to converge than Newtons method and doesn't always even converge (converges only when the abs value local gradient is less then one). It's one redeeming feature however is that the "programming" of the algorithm requires nothing more than repeating a single calculation and thus can be "programmed" on most non-programmable (that is, basic scientific) calculators.So just to make it clear what the calculator "keypresses" were doing in my previous post it was the following algorithm, with each iteration just involving pressing the calculator equals button.

Iterate [itex]x = \log_3(50 - 2^x)[/itex] starting with x0 = 3.5.
[tex]x1 = \log_3(50 - 2^{3.5}) = 3.327[/tex]
[tex]x2 = \log_3(50 - 2^{3.327}) = 3.357[/tex]
[tex]x3 = \log_3(50 - 2^{3.357}) = 3.352[/tex]
[tex]x4 = \log_3(50 - 2^{3.352}) = 3.353[/tex]

and so on.

1. How do I approach solving a problem?

The first step in solving any problem is to understand it fully. Break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and analyze each part individually. Then, try to find patterns or connections between the different parts. Finally, come up with a plan of action to solve the problem.

2. What strategies can I use to solve a problem?

There are many strategies that can be used to solve a problem, including trial and error, working backwards, making a table or chart, drawing a diagram, using logical reasoning, and seeking help from others. It is important to choose a strategy that works best for the specific problem at hand.

3. How do I know if I have found the correct solution?

Double-checking your work is crucial in problem-solving. Make sure to go back and review your steps and calculations to ensure that your solution is correct. Additionally, it can be helpful to have someone else review your work and provide feedback.

4. What should I do if I am stuck and cannot solve a problem?

If you find yourself stuck and unable to solve a problem, take a step back and try to look at the problem from a different perspective. Take a break and come back to it later with a fresh mind. It can also be helpful to seek assistance from a classmate, teacher, or tutor.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice and work on various types of problems. Additionally, always reflect on your problem-solving process and think about what strategies worked well and what could be improved upon. Seeking feedback and guidance from others can also help you improve your skills.