Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does popularity really work?

1. Dec 17, 2003 #1
    no when you think of it is there really any way to classify popularity. when you think abou tif some has friends in truth they are popular but that is not how main stream culture works.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2003 #2
    There was an article in the May 2003 issue of Scientific American about scale-free networks. Scale-Free networks have been identified in the dispersal of many types of interrelationships. Basically, a Scale-free network is relational digraph representation of the relations between a group of objects where the degree of the object nodes follow some interesting mathematical trends. These types of graphs show up in computer networks, biology, and sociology: just to name a few.

http://www.sfu.ca/~insna/INSNA/Hot/scale_free.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale-free_network

I think he subject could provide some interesting reading in relation to your question.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  4. Dec 17, 2003 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uhm,

not general engineering.

~off to philosophy

5. Dec 17, 2003 #4
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  6. Dec 18, 2003 #5
    popularity is simply loosing your mind to let someone else think for you. That's how I view it anyhow.

7. Dec 18, 2003 #6
    Spoken like a true geek!

Sorry: socially-challenged .

Actually, I completely agree with you, but can't say that to anyone since they usually tell me exactly what I just told you .

8. Dec 21, 2003 #7
    haha uve got no friends!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?