Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does that work then

1. Feb 11, 2009 #1
    Something has been bothering me for a while.....

when we are removing oil from below the surface of the earth and replacing it with water then how comes the sea levels are not falling???,

In fact i dont get this whole issue of the seas rising???, 95% of icebergs are under water, if you removed an iceberg and melted it the volume of water would be less than of ice, surely again melting icebergs reduce the levels!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2009 #2
    I'm not sure how many oil wells use this technique, but I don't think the volume of water we're talking about is all that much.

Not quite. If you melt an iceberg that's floating in water, the water level shouldn't change. But icebergs aren't the issue with rising sea levels. It's ice that's above sea level that's the concern-- things like glaciers.

DaveE

4. Feb 11, 2009 #3

Melting icebergs doesn't change any levels!
    Try it with an ice cube in a glass of water.

5. Feb 14, 2009 #4
    I tried melting ice cubes in a glass of water. Admittedly, the water level does not change as we usually thought.

--------------------------
    tease your eyes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook