How does the binding energy per nucleon of a nucleus affect its stability?

In summary, the stability of a nucleus is directly affected by its binding energy per nucleon. This is because the higher the binding energy per nucleon, the more stable the nucleus is and the more energy is required to disassociate it into its nucleon constituents. This is due to the fact that a higher binding energy per nucleon means a lower mass and therefore a more stable nucleus. However, the stability also depends on the masses of possible decay products, as a nucleus with a greater binding energy per nucleon may still undergo decay if the resulting products have lower energies. Additionally, the binding energy of the last nucleon also plays a role in stability. In reactions such as fusion, the energy released is related to the difference in binding energy
v_pino

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I was aware the higher the binding energy of a nucleus the more stable it was. Consequently I would guess that the higher the binding energy per nucleon the more stable it is. However nuclear physics isn't my strongest subject, so I could be off the mark.

I think so too, Barny.

But does anyone know the reason for this?

I am assuming that binding energy means the amount of energy gained from putting nucleons together in a nucleus. I am not completely sure of the correct terminology.

If a nucleus has a higher binding energy per nucleon, that also means you need more energy per nucleon to get the nucleons away from each other again. Basically, the higher the binding energy per nucleon, the more energy per nucleon you need to tear the nucleus apart, so the nucleus is more stable.

v_pino said:
It is not necessarily the BE per nucleon that determines stability, but rather the difference in masses between an nucleus and possible decay products.

v_pino said:
The number of nucleons (summed over all particles) is conserved in a reaction. Reaction can only run against products with lower energies, this means against products with higher average binding energies.

pam said:
It is not necessarily the BE per nucleon that determines stability, but rather the difference in masses between an nucleus and possible decay products.
Yes that's correct, but according to the semi-emperical mass formula (see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_drop_model" )
A higher binding-energy gives a lower mass (energy) and hence a more stable nucleus.

Last edited by a moderator:
eys_physics said:
and hence a more stable nucleus.
But the "hence" depends on the masses of possible decay nuclei.
Beta decay can be from a nucleus with greater BE per nucleon than the decay product.

Here is a nice summary of binding energy
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/nucene/nucbin.html

Binding energy per nucleon is the energy required to be put into the nucleus to disassociate the nucleus into it's nucleon consitutents. Taking the mass of Z protons and N neutrons, then subtracting the mass A of the nucleus containing Z protons and N neutrons, and applying Einstein's equation E = mc2, i.e. converting mass into its energy equivalence gives the binding eneryg. Dividing the total binding energy by the number of nucleons gives BE/nucleon, which is an average value.

There are also concepts such as binding energy of the last nucleon.

When a neutron is absorbed by a nucleus, in most cases, a gamma ray is emitted, and that gamma represents the binding energy. It's somewhat analogous to the heat of combustion, e.g. when a hydrocarbon CxHy + zO2-> a CO2 + H2O + heat (kinetic energy) + EM.

In fusion for instance, 2 nuclei combine (usually the lightest elements), reconfigure, and 2 new nuclei (with high binding energy per nucleon), and the energy released, i.e. the kinetic energy of the two nuclei is related to the difference (binding energy) of the sum of the masses of the parent nuclei (reactants) minus the sum of the masses of daughter nuclei (products).

1. How does the binding energy per nucleon of a nucleus affect its stability?

The binding energy per nucleon of a nucleus is a measure of the amount of energy required to break apart a nucleus into its individual nucleons. The higher the binding energy per nucleon, the more stable the nucleus is. This is because a higher binding energy means that the nucleons are tightly held together, making it more difficult for them to break apart.

2. What is the relationship between binding energy per nucleon and nuclear stability?

The relationship between binding energy per nucleon and nuclear stability is inversely proportional. This means that as the binding energy per nucleon increases, the stability of the nucleus also increases. Alternatively, as the binding energy per nucleon decreases, the stability of the nucleus decreases.

3. How does the stability of a nucleus change as it gains or loses nucleons?

The stability of a nucleus can change as it gains or loses nucleons. When a nucleus gains nucleons, the binding energy per nucleon increases, making the nucleus more stable. On the other hand, when a nucleus loses nucleons, the binding energy per nucleon decreases, making the nucleus less stable.

4. Can a nucleus with a low binding energy per nucleon be stable?

Yes, a nucleus with a low binding energy per nucleon can still be stable. This is because stability also depends on the overall arrangement of nucleons in the nucleus. A nucleus with a low binding energy per nucleon may still be stable if the nucleons are arranged in a way that minimizes the repulsive forces between them.

5. How does the binding energy per nucleon differ between different elements and isotopes?

The binding energy per nucleon can vary between different elements and isotopes. Generally, heavier elements have a higher binding energy per nucleon, making them more stable. However, there can be variations in the binding energy per nucleon even between isotopes of the same element, as it depends on the number of nucleons and their arrangement within the nucleus.