How does the coefficient in the Boltzmann equation comes from

In summary, the Boltzmann equation describes the evolution of a system of particles by taking into account their interactions through the collision term, which contains a normalization factor (2\pi)^4 and a term E(p) to account for energy conservation. The (2\pi)^4 term in the left side of the equation is related to the uncertainty principle and the integration measure in the denominator ensures energy conservation in the interactions. For more information, I recommend the books "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki and "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz. For a more general introduction to the topic, "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths is highly recommended.
nadia8999
In the Boltzmann equation,
[itex]{\bf{L}}\left[ f \right] = {\bf{C}}\left[ f \right][/itex], the right which is the collision term and in general it is[itex]{\bf{C}}[f]=\sum\limits_{p,p_1} {|Amplitiude|^2}{f(p)}[/itex]. and explicitly, the collision term for decaying process is
[itex]
\begin{eqnarray}
{\bf{C}}\left[ f \right] &=& \frac{1}{{E\left( p \right)}}\int {\frac{{{d^3}p}}{{{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^3}2E\left( p \right)}}\frac{{{d^3}{p_2}}}{{{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^3}2E\left( {{p_2}} \right)}}}\nonumber\\
&\times& {\left| {{\cal M}\left( {p \to {p_1} + {p_2}} \right)} \right|^2}f\left( p \right)\nonumber\\
&\times& {\left( {2\pi } \right)^4}{\delta ^4}(p - {p_1} + {p_2})
\end{eqnarray}
[/itex]
I want to know exactly how does the coefficient in the equation comes from,for it is very important for the result.
My questions are:
1) how does the [itex]E(p)[/itex]comes from

2) [itex]\begin{equation}
\int {\frac{{{d^4}p}}{{{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^4}}}\left( {2\pi } \right)\delta ({E^2} - {m^2} - {p^2})} = \int {\frac{{{d^3}p}}{{{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^3}}}\frac{{\delta (E - \sqrt {{m^2} + {p^2}} )}}{{2E}}}
\end{equation}[/itex],the[itex](2\pi)^4[/itex]in the left of the equation is the space element with[itex]\hbar=1[/itex],but how does the [itex]2\pi[/itex] comes from?

3) in the equation above, why cannot we write the [itex]\delta[/itex]function is the left with[itex]\delta (E - \sqrt {{m^2} + {p^2}} )[/itex] directly, if so, then [itex]2E[/itex]does not exist in denominator of the right equation.

4) why there is [itex](2\pi)^4[/itex]in the equation[itex]{\left( {2\pi } \right)^4}{\delta ^4}(p - {p_1} + {p_2})[/itex].

can anyone give give explanations or recommend some books to which I can refer?

Space news on Phys.org

Thank you for your questions about the Boltzmann equation and the collision term. I am happy to provide you with some explanations and recommend some resources for further reading.

1) The term E(p) in the collision term comes from the energy of the particle with momentum p. In the Boltzmann equation, we are considering a system of particles with different momenta and energies. The collision term takes into account the interactions between these particles, which can change their momenta and energies. The E(p) term is necessary to account for the energy conservation in these interactions.

2) The (2\pi)^4 in the left side of the equation represents the integration over all possible momentum states of the particles. This is a standard convention in quantum field theory, where the (2\pi)^4 term is used to normalize the integration measure. In this case, it is related to the space element and the uncertainty principle, which states that the product of the uncertainty in position and momentum must be at least as large as a certain value, in this case, \hbar=1. For more details, I recommend the book "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki.

3) The reason why we cannot write the delta function as \delta (E - \sqrt {{m^2} + {p^2}} ) directly is because we are integrating over all possible momentum states. The integration measure in the denominator takes into account all possible energies, not just the one given by the delta function. This is necessary to ensure the energy conservation in the interactions.

4) The (2\pi)^4 term in the equation {\left( {2\pi } \right)^4}{\delta ^4}(p - {p_1} + {p_2}) represents the integration over all possible momentum states of the particles involved in the collision. It is a normalization factor used in quantum field theory to ensure that the collision term is properly normalized. For more details, I recommend the book "Quantum Field Theory and the Standard Model" by Matthew D. Schwartz.

I hope this helps to answer your questions. For further reading, I recommend the books mentioned above as well as "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths. Good luck with your studies!

1. How is the Boltzmann equation derived?

The Boltzmann equation is derived from statistical mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of a gas at the molecular level. It relates the macroscopic properties of a gas, such as temperature and pressure, to the microscopic properties of its individual molecules.

2. What is the significance of the coefficient in the Boltzmann equation?

The coefficient in the Boltzmann equation, also known as the Boltzmann constant (k), represents the relationship between temperature and energy. It is a fundamental constant in physics and is used to convert between the macroscopic and microscopic scales.

3. How is the Boltzmann constant determined?

The Boltzmann constant is determined experimentally by measuring the amount of energy needed to increase the temperature of a gas by a certain amount. It can also be calculated using other fundamental constants, such as the gas constant and Avogadro's number.

4. Can the Boltzmann equation be applied to systems other than gases?

Yes, the Boltzmann equation can be applied to any system where there is a large number of particles interacting with each other. This includes liquids, solids, and even plasmas. However, the specific form of the equation may vary depending on the system being studied.

5. Why is the Boltzmann equation important in the study of thermodynamics?

The Boltzmann equation is important in thermodynamics because it allows us to understand the relationship between macroscopic properties, such as temperature and pressure, and the microscopic behavior of particles. It is also used to derive other important thermodynamic equations, such as the ideal gas law.