How does the TV know

• Thread starter jaydnul
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

When I plug in a pair of headphones in the back of my tv, it cuts of the sound to the speakers. But If a I plug just an unsoldered 3.5mm jack, it still cuts of the sound to the speakers. How does it know there is a jack plugged in when, technically, the circuitry would detect that as the same as nothing in there. It's really just extending the leads by a little bit, with no connections being made.

Is there an extra sensor in there the gets shorted when a jack goes in?

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Don't overthink it. The insertion of the jack physically pushes open a contact to the speaker, cutting the circuit.

See diagram
jack-png.78784.png

Attachments

Last edited:
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Don't overthink it.
I wish my TV's designers hadn't over-thought it. These new-fangled digitals, as nice as they are, don't have audio channel BNCs and you can't use the these phone jacks to grab the signals and listen to the speakers at the same time. :oldgrumpy:

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
I wish my TV's designers hadn't over-thought it.
It's everywhere.
Tower of Babel myth is playing out.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's everywhere.
Tower of Babel myth is playing out.
We can defeat them. If we live long enough. :oldwink:

berkeman
Mentor
How does it know
Never anthropomorphize TV sets. They hate it when you do that. :-)

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Apparently, not all TVs cut audio to the speakers when the headphones are plugged in. Some require the speakers be silenced via the remote control. (This point arose in responses to someone asking for recommendations re a second TV for the bedroom.)

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Apparently, not all TVs cut audio to the speakers when the headphones are plugged in. Some require the speakers be silenced via the remote control. (This point arose in responses to someone asking for recommendations re a second TV for the bedroom.)
Now that's over-thinking.

NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
There would be some situations where a hard-of-hearing viewer would like to have amplification via headphones, while the other partner wants to listen to the TV at normal volume.

Then other situations where each wants a separate TV in the same room.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
Maybe the question should be

"What does the TV know?"
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2476476,00.asp

As first reported by The Daily Beast, Samsung's Smart TV privacy policy includes the following warning.

"Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party through your use of Voice Recognition," the site says.
Telemarketer's dream.
I wonder if one could adapt an old analog tuner with the rotary channel switch to his digital TV.

Averagesupernova
Science Advisor
Gold Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the first thing I thought about when digital TV came into existence. The fact that it is no longer a one way path from the origination of programming to the TV set means that a lot of securities that we took for granted are out the window.

jim hardy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Dearly Missed
If one reads the digital TV standards he finds there's amazing amount of control in the broadcast signal.
The originating station can select your channel for you.

If you have fifteen minutes to read a classic sci-fi short story about over-automation,

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29579/29579-h/29579-h.htm
"I know that," Gelsen said, feeling extremely uncomfortable. "I believe there might be a moral danger in allowing a machine to make decisions that are rightfully Man's," he declared doggedly.