How does this courseload sound?

• Courses
  • Thread starter ahsanxr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sound
In summary, this conversation discusses the following courses: Next semester I plan to take the following courses: Calculus III: Studies functions of several variables including lines and planes in space, differentiation of functions of several variables, maxima and minima, multiple integration, line integrals, and volume. Ordinary Differential Equations (for Physics majors): Usually offered in the spring, this course covers the same material as MATH 325 with some additional topics, including an introduction to Sturm-Liouville theory, Fourier series and boundary value problems, and their connection with partial differential equations. Introductory Physics II:Gravitation, Oscillations, Waves & Thermodynamics: Second semester of a four-semester sequence
ahsanxr
Next semester I plan to take the following courses:

Calculus III: Studies functions of several variables including lines and planes in space, differentiation of functions of several variables, maxima and minima, multiple integration, line integrals, and volume.

Ordinary Differential Equations (for Physics majors): Usually offered in the spring, this course covers the same material as MATH 325 with some additional topics, including an introduction to Sturm-Liouville theory, Fourier series and boundary value problems, and their connection with partial differential equations. Physics majors should enroll in MATH 325P, although no knowledge of physics is assumed.

Introductory Physics II:Gravitation, Oscillations, Waves & Thermodynamics: Second semester of a four-semester sequence for prospective physics and other science majors. Topics include gravitation and Kepler's laws; harmonic motion; thermodynamics; wave motion; sound; optics.

Fundamentals of Scientific Computing: Applications of computers to solving basic problems in physical science. Introduction to programming, use of external libraries, and implementation of basic algorithms with focus on numerical methods, error analysis and data fitting. No previous computer experience is required. One lecture and 2 two-hour lab sessions each week.

Along with these, an English Writing course to get rid of the first writing requirement. This adds up to be 18 credits which sounds like a lot.

This semester I'm enrolled in Calculus II, Elementary Linear Algebra, Introductory Physics I: Mechanics and Special Relativity and Intro to Philosophy. I'm not really feeling particularly challenged by these (a major reason might be I'm already familiar with a lot of the material) and I want to up the ante next semester. I plan to major in Math and/or Physics with a minor in something like Philosophy. I also have the idea of engineering at the back of my head which I'll explore more come sophomore year.

So what are your opinions? Too much? Just okay? Any additions or subtractions?

Physics news on Phys.org
looks good to me, especially if you are doing fine this semester.

Bump. Now that the semester is about to start in less than 2 weeks, I need more insight into the kind of workload I should be expecting. I've registered for 4 of the 5 posted above and I'll need to get approval for the last one (Fundamentals of Scientific Computing) because that makes it go over the limit (17 credits).

I also need some insight into how these will work with respect to the majors I'm think about (combination of Physics/Math majors/minors while the possibility of Engineering will be explored more when my second year starts).

If the workload gets up, you might find it difficult to give full attention to every subject. It can be tough to work on a sunday. You may need to budget your time between the subjects to get the best result.

ahsanxr said:
Bump. Now that the semester is about to start in less than 2 weeks, I need more insight into the kind of workload I should be expecting. I've registered for 4 of the 5 posted above and I'll need to get approval for the last one (Fundamentals of Scientific Computing) because that makes it go over the limit (17 credits).

I also need some insight into how these will work with respect to the majors I'm think about (combination of Physics/Math majors/minors while the possibility of Engineering will be explored more when my second year starts).

Well obviously you don't need a physics course to be a math major. You're fine, just go do well.

Close to what I'm doing this semester cept my physics class is the second half of the general calc-based intro physics sequence (E&M and optics).

And instead of the computing class I'm taking Statics and a stupid course called Intro to Engineering. Mine add up to 17 since that intro to engy is only 2 credits.

Sounds easy

sounds ok :)
good luck

I also had another question. I'm considering adding another Math course to my schedule. Right now the one which still has spots and works out with my schedule is a class called "Complex Variables with Applications." Topics include analytic functions, Cauchy formulas, power series, residue theorem, conformal mapping, and Laplace transforms. I had 2 questions about this class:

1. It lists Calc 3 as a pre-req. Is that actually true?
2. Would taking 3 math classes in the same semester be overkill?

The others I was considering was Survey of Algebra and Basic Real Analysis but those 2 don't have any open spots left and a lot of people are on the wait list too.

ahsanxr said:

1. Irrelevant.
  2. What do you think? I could do it, sure, but I'm not you so I can't answer that question.

The others I was considering was Survey of Algebra and Basic Real Analysis but those 2 don't have any open spots left and a lot of people are on the wait list too.

Huh.

What textbook are you going to use for complex analysis. I think Calc 3 helps a lot in learning Complex analysis but its probably not strictly nescessary.

ahsanxr said:

Well, if your school says it is a pre-requisite, then it certainly is one.

I don't think taking 3 math classes + 1 physics class is overkill. The course load seems fine to me, might not be easy but very very doable.

ahsanxr said:
I also had another question. I'm considering adding another Math course to my schedule. Right now the one which still has spots and works out with my schedule is a class called "Complex Variables with Applications." Topics include analytic functions, Cauchy formulas, power series, residue theorem, conformal mapping, and Laplace transforms. I had 2 questions about this class:

I think three math classes per semester is doable if you're sufficiently motivated (I took four last Fall and am doing the same this semester), but if your Complex Variables class is anything like the course offered in my semester, it would probably benefit you to hold off until you take Calculus III and DEs. Can you take a second course in Linear Algebra or some Intro to Proofs class? Those seem to be standard fare for all Math majors and might be more appropriate for you this semester.

So mainly I have 2 concerns. How much would taking Calc III and Differential Equations at the same time rather than before Complex Variables hurt me? Secondly, the only other Math classes I've taken are Calc II and Elementary Linear Algebra, that is no proof-bases class like Basic Real Analysis or abstract math class like Survey of Algebra. How much will that hurt me?

1. How many courses do I need to take for this courseload?

The number of courses required for a specific courseload varies depending on the institution and program. It is important to consult with your academic advisor to determine the appropriate number of courses for your specific situation.

2. Can I handle this courseload while also working part-time?

It is possible to handle a courseload while working part-time, but it may require effective time management and prioritization skills. It is important to assess your workload and schedule beforehand to determine if it is feasible.

3. Are there any prerequisites for these courses?

Most courses have prerequisites that must be completed before enrolling in the course. It is important to check the course descriptions and requirements before registering for a course to ensure you meet the prerequisites.

4. Will this courseload be too difficult for me?

The difficulty of a courseload can vary depending on the individual's strengths, weaknesses, and study habits. It is important to evaluate your previous academic performance and workload to determine if the courseload is suitable for you.

5. How much time should I expect to spend studying for this courseload?

The amount of time needed to study for a courseload can vary depending on the individual's learning style, course material, and other commitments. On average, students are expected to spend 2-3 hours per week studying for each credit hour. However, it is important to create a personalized study schedule to ensure proper time management.