Continuity of f(x,y)=(x^3)/(x^2 + y^2) at (0,0)

• Thread starter Poopsilon
  • Start date
In summary, the piece-wise function f(x,y)=(x^3)/(x^2 + y^2) is continuous due to the fact that both its partial derivatives are bounded. This allows us to conclude that f(x,y) is continuous at the point (0,0). However, this condition may be slightly weaker than the one that guarantees differentiability and continuity at (0,0), which is that the partial derivatives exist and are continuous. In a similar theorem in Rudin's exercises, it is shown that the function is continuous only at (0,0) by checking the partial derivatives. The condition on the partial derivatives ensures that the function approaches 0 when b approaches 0, for any point a in R^2
Poopsilon
So my text says that the piece-wise function f(x,y)=(x^3)/(x^2 + y^2) for (x,y)≠(0,0) and f(0,0)=0 is continuous due to the fact both its partial derivatives are bounded. I can't see how this follows, I mean the only point at which the reader would be worried about continuity is at the point (0,0) and to show that it is continuous at that point I would simply bound the function by g(x,y)=x and then show that this function goes to 0 as x -> 0. But why would the partial derivatives being bounded allow us to conclude that f(x,y) is continuous at (0,0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if that condition is slightly weaker than the one that would guarantee
differentiability--and therefore continuity-- at (0,0), which is that the partials
exist and are continuous. AFAIK, continuous partials existing is sufficient, but
not necessary for continuity.

I happened to stumble upon a similar theorem in one of Rudin's exercises.

Having to check continuity of the function in 0 only, I would desume it by the fact that partial derivatives are limited this way:

Take a in R^2 different from the origin, with a = (a_1, a_2)
Chose b so that b=(0,a_2).

So that the following identity:
f(0)-f(a) = ||a-b|| * (f(a)) -(f(b))/||a-b|| - |0-b||*(f(0)-f(b))/||0-b||)

When b approaches 0, given the condition on the partial derivatives, is 0 for every a.

Please do correct me if I am wrong.

/edited for misspelling

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of continuity?

Continuity is a property of a function where the function's output changes continuously as its input changes. In other words, there are no abrupt changes or gaps in the function's output as the input varies.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous at a specific point?

In order for a function to be continuous at a specific point, the limit of the function as the input approaches that point must exist and be equal to the function's value at that point. This means that the function's output does not jump or change abruptly at that point.

3. What is the limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches (0,0)?

The limit of f(x,y) as (x,y) approaches (0,0) is equal to 0. This can be determined by plugging in the values of x and y into the function and simplifying the expression.

4. Is the function f(x,y)=(x^3)/(x^2 + y^2) continuous at (0,0)?

Yes, the function f(x,y)=(x^3)/(x^2 + y^2) is continuous at (0,0). This is because the limit of the function as (x,y) approaches (0,0) exists and is equal to 0, which is also equal to the function's value at (0,0).

5. Why is the continuity of a function important?

The continuity of a function is important because it allows us to make predictions and analyze the behavior of the function. It also allows us to use mathematical tools such as derivatives and integrals to solve problems and model real-world situations.