Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does this Jet Pack work?

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    Here is a link to videos of it: http://www.jetpackinternational.com/video.html

Can anyone give me information about this thing? Like how it works and what does it use for fuel.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

4. Apr 17, 2007 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4
    Interesting they call it all a jet pack, though one uses rockets and that winged design actually uses small jet engines - quite impressive btw.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_pack

6. Apr 17, 2007 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

7. Apr 17, 2007 #6

how was the performance on your turbine jet pack?

on wikipedia it says that jet packs using turbojets have much more potential. the one they built got a much higher operation time then the rocket belt.

8. Apr 17, 2007 #7

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It was excellent. I have seen footage of it flying. Folks that worked there back then that saw it fly said it was really a sight to see. It's major drawback was the noise. It had a small featured part (as did another of our engines) of National Geographic's show on cruise missiles. It's not bad for a brief intro.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com.sg/watch/program_details.aspx?id_program=5743

9. Apr 18, 2007 #8
    ah I'll have to try to get that segment. It a bummer that so many jetpack projects lost funding because of the noise.

I think if it was worked on now, lots of progress could be made with today's technology and would be easier to implement. (I'm sure it's easier to make a turbojet now than in the 70's)

If anything, they'd make good for entertainment.

10. Apr 18, 2007 #9
    I think a flying car has much more market potential than a personal jet pack. And a lot of the implementation problems - like the noise are the same.

11. Apr 19, 2007 #10
    I really hope the flying car never becomes practical anytime within the next 50 years or so.

Drunk drivers are bad enough, who wants drunken celebrities crashing into buildings on their jet propeled car

or worse, they make it cheap enough for everyday people, so the FAA is so flooded with applicants for flying cars, the quality of pilots goes down, standards are lowered, and you have normal everyday people drunk and flying

12. Apr 19, 2007 #11

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Trust me. We have been working with NASA on the GAP program which has, as, one of it's "goals" to get more of the population flying. They want to do this by making the aircraft, navigation, etc... as simple as possible so that even a caveman could do it.

The general public flying in mass quantities like that will not happen in either of our life times. The flying car is still a joke. I don't think in all this time in development it has made it past hovering with tethers. There are certain realities that some people refuse to accept under our current technologies.

13. Apr 19, 2007 #12
    Why what are the main problems ? Thrust for vertical take-off and landing ? Control ?

14. Apr 19, 2007 #13

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Performance and controllability are their two major hurdles.

15. Apr 19, 2007 #14
    I think we should dig canals and create a new type of boat so we can just boat around everywhere. but that's pretty out there.

By performance do you mean stuff like fuel effiency, or like producion of thrust and obtaining high speeds?

16. Apr 19, 2007 #15

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Production of thrust, transitional flight, not crashing...you know...

17. Apr 19, 2007 #16
    ah you almost had me excited there lol.

anyways, this summer I'm gonna try to make a jet pack out of 2 valveless pulsejet engines that I'll be making. for now I'm only interested in it achieving relativily stable flight for a period of time ( t>31 seconds?) while controlling it remotely.

I'm gonna try to insulate the engines and fuel tanks with some material (nomex? something like that) and build the engine out of Inoconel (sp?).

Also I'm gonna try to run it on home-electrolysis-ed hydrogen or home-distilled kerosene to a high concentration.

any thoughts?

18. Oct 19, 2009 #17
    the Jetpack Internatioal is a hydrogen peroxide monopropellant rocket, using one catalyst pack and 2 nozzles for propulsion. They use peroxide at a high rate and can hover for only 30-40 seconds.

Virutally all present rocket belts (the other name for these) are H2O2. There wqas one guy in Germany or UK starting on a LOX/fule one but he did not finish it.

I have been considering a bipropellant one, for fun and income. You can google "microlaunchers" for what I've been up to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?