Switching Majors in the First Year: How Does it Affect Your CV?

• Thread starter Gargle Blaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cv
In summary, the person is asking if leaving their previous school and switching majors will look bad on their CV when applying for grad school in theoretical and mathematical physics. The expert does not have enough information to comment on whether letters should be included in the applications, but believes the circumstances should not negatively impact the application. They also mention that switching majors in the first year is not uncommon and if the person accomplished something in their previous major, it could actually be beneficial on their CV.
Gargle Blaster
I'm starting to prepare applications for grad school and I have one question.

Before I started studying physics I was studying EE for one year, but I didn't like the school so I quit and went for physics (from the first year again) and now I want to study theoretical and mathematical physics.

Do you think, that this will look bad on my CV? Should I give an explanation, why I left the school (or why I went to the school) in the motivation letter, or something like that?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't comment on whether you should include letters in your applications, because I don't know the procedure of the schools you are applying to. However, I don't see that your circumstances will look bad on your application. To me, it seems like you tried something, didn't like it so changed, and are now applying to research in an area you have shown interest in. How can that look bad?

Switching majors your first year isn't bad. Just curious, how is that being fit into a CV? Did you do research or come out with some degree in EE? If you accomplished something in EE this can't look bad on a CV.

1. How do I list my research experience in my CV?

The best way to list your research experience in your CV is to start with your most recent experience and work backwards. Include the name of the institution or company you conducted research with, your role or title, and a brief description of your responsibilities and accomplishments. If you have multiple research experiences, you can divide them into different categories such as "Academic Research" and "Industry Research".

2. Should I include publications in my CV?

If you have publications related to your research experience, it can be beneficial to include them in your CV. This can showcase your expertise and the impact of your work. Make sure to include the title of the publication, the names of your co-authors, and where it was published. If you have a lot of publications, you can create a separate section for them or include a link to your online profile, such as Google Scholar.

3. How do I highlight my skills in my CV?

One way to highlight your skills in your CV is to create a dedicated "Skills" section. Here, you can list your technical skills, such as programming languages or lab techniques, as well as soft skills like communication and teamwork. Make sure to provide specific examples or evidence of how you have utilized these skills in your research or work experiences.

4. Is it important to include my education in my CV?

Yes, it is important to include your education in your CV, especially if you are a recent graduate or have relevant coursework. List your degrees in reverse chronological order, starting with the most recent. Include the name of the institution, your degree, your major or field of study, and any honors or awards you received. You can also include relevant coursework or a brief description of your research projects.

5. How do I make my CV stand out to potential employers?

To make your CV stand out to potential employers, it is important to tailor it to the specific job or industry you are applying for. This means highlighting relevant skills and experiences and using keywords from the job description. You can also include any awards, publications, or presentations that showcase your expertise. Additionally, make sure your CV is well-organized, visually appealing, and error-free.