Exploring How Time Exists: Beginner's Exploration of Linear Time

• Thread starter Red Leader
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation explores the concept of time and whether it truly exists in a linear sense or if it is merely a practical idea. The speaker believes that there is only one thing that truly exists, which is "now", and that everything else is a creation of the mind. They question the existence of the past and future and suggest that time is an illusion of continuity. They also mention how one's perception and beliefs can affect their experience of time. The conversation ends with a recommendation to read essays on the nature of time and the idea that time is what prevents everything from happening all at once.
Hello all,

Imo Time does not move but is the source of all motion, motion being a resultant of change, change being a resultant of interactions.

Here’s my take on it…

Time is an infinite energy that fuels and has fuelled all interactions in which change happens. It is available in any and all amounts needed for a given change to happen.

This would be my absolute definition of Time, however, throughout Earth’s history, some of our greatest human minds, conjointly with Nature and mathematics, came to realize and grasp something about cycles and duration as a useful physical quantity, intelligently refining this quantization up to our current most accurately defined standards. At some point, that something was named Time.

Change is always happening as everything in our Universe is continually in interaction, which brings me to the ‘now’ aspect. It is also my opinion that everything is happening in the same moment, the only moment, namely the present.

Of course you can argue till exhaustion that things cannot happen simultaneously at any given moment, but all I’ll respond to that is that in fact they do… but we cannot measure that simultaneity because all our measurements are based on acquisition of some EM signal that travels at the same speed from all sources. Never mind any correction factors.

However, that in no way washes off the fact that everything happens ‘at the same time’. A simple example would be a common time related measurement question that states that “at time t=0 a light signal is emitted from source A, if it takes 54 hours and 22 minutes to reach detector D, how far was the source ?”, I mean, we can read this sort of stuff all over…

In fact what that says is for the answer to be marked ‘correct’, both the emitted signal and the counter start sequence MUST HAPPEN SIMULTANEOUSLY. This is valid for any and all source / detector distance.

On another note, I’ve had this idea about memory of past events which also has an interesting twist to it as it deals with getting FTL information. I’ll wait some more before posting it.

Regards,

VE

Physics news on Phys.org
Time is the whole. Space was created "when" energy twisted time into quarters. Three of the parts move in the positive direction outward and one negative or inward, or is it three in the negative and one positive I guess both out looks are describing the same interaction point. In my mind the four dimensions that we think of as separate are but one of time.