Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does transistor work?

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1

hei

A transistor need both adequate current and voltage to be activated right? And does it get damaged by connecting in wrong terminal?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3
    hei,

What type of transistor are you asking about? FET or MOSFET?

Ratch

5. Sep 23, 2012 #4

hei

My knowledge about transistor is too low, i have no idea what is FET or MOSFET yet, and i found this http://www.williamson-labs.com/images/e-spring.gif animation interesting, what does the spring mean? Does it mean the resistance increase when it is stretched longer?

6. Sep 23, 2012 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I did see that link when I was looking for links to post for you but dismissed it as not easy to understand

Did you visit any of the links I gave in my post above ?

Dave

7. Sep 23, 2012 #6
    Search my post history & I have given pages of discussion. Search the OEM like Fairchild, TI, International Rectifier, On Semi, etc. They have reliable info. Contrarians who go against those who make the transistors are not credible. If you allow yourself to be influenced by contrarians you will never understand anything. Stay away from anybody who opposes the OEMs.

Claude

8. Sep 26, 2012 #7

hei

9. Sep 26, 2012 #8

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have such little basic knowledge then it is unlikely that you can jump so deep into this subject and expect to understand much. I think you need to start somewhere nearer the beginning.
    If you didn't know Basic Algebra, would you feel able to jump straight into Integral Calculus with any success? It's the same with Physics.

10. Sep 26, 2012 #9

hei

Does wikibook is a good place to learn all these stuff?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook