Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does water extinguish fire?

1. Nov 16, 2004 #1

MR

How does water extinguish fire? My 5-year-old brother asked me, and now I'm really curious.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2004 #2
    Fire needs two things: oxygen and fuel.

Water cuts off access to oxygen, and cools the fuel to below combustion temperature.

4. Nov 16, 2004 #3

MR

OK, now I'm feeling REALLY ignorant...
    What's combustion temperature?
    Also, I've heard a number of times of using water as a cooling agent (especially in nuclear reactors), but why does water cool things down so well?
    Thanks!

5. Nov 16, 2004 #4
    water has a high specific heat, meaning it takes a lot of energy/heat to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celcius

6. Nov 16, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Make that 3 things: oxygen, fuel, and heat. Your description has all 3.

MR, when you strike a match, you are using friction to increase the temperature of the phosphorous on the match head above its ignition temperature - the temperature at which it starts to burn. After it starts to burn, it expends more energy than is needed to keep the fuel burning - so it stays lit.

Welcome aboard!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  7. Nov 16, 2004 #6
    right, heat. i always make that mistake. I figure if you're talking fire, heat's pretty much a given.

8. Nov 16, 2004 #7

MR

Thanks, people...This is so cool!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?