Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How does your brain work?

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    I was always curious on this one. What part of brain do we use for solving physics problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2
    How does my brain work?

Mine, quite frequently, refuses to.

4. Jul 9, 2009 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Poorly, at best. :redface:

5. Jul 9, 2009 #4
    No, no, I bet you guys are intelligent people, I was just curious what part of our brain uses to solve physics problems.

6. Jul 9, 2009 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Brain area usage actually varies from person to person, although certain activities are generally located in specific areas. I suppose that physics is a left-hemisphere activity, since left-handed (right-brained) people tend toward more abstract and artistic talents. What the specific area of the cortex is involved is outside of my knowledge.

7. Jul 9, 2009 #6
    Oh okay, I bet then mathematical and spatial knowledge is left-hemisphere thing (math definitely is, but I don't know about spatial thing though).

8. Jul 9, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Spatial is a bit different from math and logic. Space and time perception tend to be managed by the right parietal lobe.

9. Jul 9, 2009 #8
    Math can use logic behind solving algebraic equations, but geometry is also mathematical, but we also need to use some spatial knowledge to visualize geometric objects in our minds, don't we?

10. Jul 9, 2009 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not sure about that; it might just be a matter of several different areas cooperating to solve a problem. It's kind of a weird field for me to try envisioning, since I'm fully ambidextrous. Neither side of my brain is dominant. Unfortunately, neither side is fully functional either. I have no problem combining something like hydraulics and cellular biology to design something, although I know little about either. I do, however, tend to use my right hand for technical draughting and my left for drawing pictures. (And for some unknown reason, I do cross-word puzzles left-handed.) I mouse with either hand, but tend to use my right with the graphics tablet. All in all, it's a mystery subject.

11. Jul 9, 2009 #10
    Perhaps that the question where we think is not nearly as interesting as how we think. So the topic "How does your brain work?" certainly is more than "where does your brain work?". I'm thinking about thinking and memorizing in words, concepts, visual images, sounds, smells, feelings. More specifically, the 'word-thinking' / 'visual- thinking' contrast has been subject to study, especially in relation with dyslexia and the misconceptions about that.

Recommended:
    http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/health/1790.html [Broken]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_thinking
    http://www.dystalk.com/talks/24-visual-thinking-and-dyslexia
    http://www.dyslexia.com/bookstore/giftbook.htm

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  12. Jul 9, 2009 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

If I recall correctly, the significance of brain dominance as it depends on handedness was weak. I'm a lefty and was interested in the subject in my high-school years. I remember reading that we have large corpus coliseums on average, too (which means communication between left and right hemisphere are likely to be better in lefties).

But I don't know how much of what I've read was biased by the left-handed authors.

Anyway, to my original point, I think the issue is that handedness and cognitive functions are handled by different parts of the hemisphere, so you may be using your motor skills from your right hemisphere (as a lefty) but it doesn't mean you're cognitive skills are dominant in the right hemisphere.

I kind of lost interest in the subject a while ago (like, 10-15 years), so I may be shaky here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook