What Are Some Tips for Successful Gardening?

In summary, we put in a huge garden and had a green thumb from the get-go. We still have a garden, although it's a little smaller now. We mainly grow vegetables, fruits, and flowers. I've been a pretty avid gardener at times but not for eating, just for looking.
  • #1,926
Blah, I thought you are talking physics here.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,927
I have made a "for sale" sign for my old Troy-Bilt Horse. No calls yet, but two people stopped by the road-side to take a look. It has a cast-iron Tecumseh engine with electronic ignition, cast iron frame, and transmission, etc, and there is less than 20 hours of use on it since a complete rebuild (bearings, crank, rod, piston, etc), so it ought to sell. I put a price of $500 on it, and the new models are no longer heavy and solid like this - they are made by MTD with lots of lighter components and they still sell for over $2000, new. This one went for probably 30+ years before I decided to rebuild the engine - it should outlast the next owner.

• #1,928
A squirrel was eating and digging around for food. He pulled something out of the grass that looked like a large brown nut. But the the nut screamed and the squirrel let go and the nut started jumping away. I got closer because the nut was also hissing. Turns out the squirrel accidently grabbed a mole. The mole took off hissing. I hope it wasn't hurt too bad.

• #1,929
Evo said:
A squirrel was eating and digging around for food. He pulled something out of the grass that looked like a large brown nut. But the the nut screamed and the squirrel let go and the nut started jumping away. I got closer because the nut was also hissing. Turns out the squirrel accidently grabbed a mole. The mole took off hissing. I hope it wasn't hurt too bad.
There's probably a best selling novel in that.

• #1,930
Evo said:
Lucky for the mole! Our red squirrels are vicious, and until I cleaned them out, they were scarring and seriously injuring my "pet" chipmunks. I used to be able to tell them apart by their scars. After I removed the squirrels, the 'munks healed up and I could only tell them apart by their behaviors until they got close enough to inspect them in detail and see the old scars. After the squirrels were gone, the vole population improved, which is a good thing because I garden organically, and voles eat lots of insects and their grubs.

• #1,931
turbo-1 said:
Lucky for the mole! Our red squirrels are vicious, and until I cleaned them out, they were scarring and seriously injuring my "pet" chipmunks. I used to be able to tell them apart by their scars. After I removed the squirrels, the 'munks healed up and I could only tell them apart by their behaviors until they got close enough to inspect them in detail and see the old scars. After the squirrels were gone, the vole population improved, which is a good thing because I garden organically, and voles eat lots of insects and their grubs.

Red squirrels vicious? :eek:

They should be looked after, they're a species that isn't doing too well.

• #1,932
Kurdt said:
Red squirrels vicious? :eek:

They should be looked after, they're a species that isn't doing too well.
They are a plague here, Kurdt. No shortage at all! And yes, the "cute" little red squirrels would attack and drive off the gray squirrels at our old house. There are no gray squirrels up here in the woods, but the red squirrels attack chipmunks, voles and other critters.

Ounce-for-ounce, red squirrels are probably the most aggressive critters anywhere around here. Maybe a close tie with ruby-throated hummingbirds.

• #1,933
turbo-1 said:
...voles eat lots of insects and their grubs.

You might be wrong here. I remember my grandmother hated them and hunted them relentlessly because they damaged her garden.

Voles cause damage by feeding on a wide range of garden plants including artichoke, beet, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrot, cauliflower, celery, lettuce, turnip, sweet potato, spinach, and tomato. Turf and other landscape plantings such as lilies and dichondra may be damaged. Voles will gnaw the bark of fruit trees including almond, apple, avocado, cherry, citrus, and olive. Vole damage to tree trunks normally occurs from a few inches aboveground to a few inches below ground. If the damage is below ground, you will need to remove soil from the base of the tree to see it. Although voles are poor climbers, if they can climb on to low-hanging branches they may cause damage higher up on trees as well.

Gnaw marks about 1/8 inch wide and 3/8 inch long found in irregular patches and at various angles, taken in conjunction with other signs (droppings, runways, and burrows), indicate vole damage. If voles gnaw completely around the trunk or roots, the tree's flow of nutrients and water will be disrupted; this is called girdling. Girdling damage on trunks and roots can kill trees. Signs of partial trunk or root girdling may include a prolonged time before young trees bear fruit, reduced fruit yield, abnormal yellowish leaf color, and overall poor vigor. Where snow cover is present, damage to trees may extend a foot or more up the trunk. Damage that occurs under snow cover often escapes notice until it is too late.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7439.html#DAMAGE

• #1,934
Not to mention the damn things have trails all over the place and it's hard not to twist my ankle every time I walk outside from stepping into their tunnels.

Cute things though. I hope that one was more angered than injured. But a squirrel bite on something that tiny can't be good.

• #1,935
Equate said:
You might be wrong here. I remember my grandmother hated them and hunted them relentlessly because they damaged her garden.
I don't bother voles, nor indeed any other critter that is not causing significant damage. We need a balance of critters, and I am not going to upset the ecological balance of my property because we need everything to work, if organic gardening methods are going to work well. I'll shoot a groundhog on sight because they will take a bite out of one squash, then move onto another, and wreck a lot of produce in the process. Voles, mice, moles, etc have their positive sides, and I let them be because the damage they cause is negligible. We have weasels, martins, skunks, etc, too, and I will never discourage their presence. Little predators keep little pests in check.

• #1,936
You must have different red squirrels.

• #1,937
Here is my squirrel that keeps wanting to come inside. Today he kept popping up in the window next to me. I had been feeding them pizza, and every time they ran out, he'd jump into the window and knock.

Here you can see him trading stares with my dog the fruit bat.

005wu.jpg

letmein.jpg

Last edited:
  • #1,938
Precious. Evo, that's a sweet picture. I love my squirrels that steal the sunflowers from the birdfeeder in my garden. The birds perch along side them. It's a big bird feeder on top of a six foot post. :smile:

p.s. I hope your Kurdt gets better soon.

• #1,939
ViewsofMars said:
Precious. Evo, that's a sweet picture. I love my squirrels that steal the sunflowers from the birdfeeder in my garden. The birds perch along side them. It's a big bird feeder on top of a six foot post. :smile:

Awww, thank you ViewsofMars, always so nice to hear from you. I love your posts.

• #1,940
ViewsofMars said:

Its OUR Kurdt. Evo's ownership is only virtual :wink:

• #1,941
Evo said:
Awww, thank you ViewsofMars, always so nice to hear from you. I love your posts.

I love your review along with your postings too.:smile: Always nice to chat with you. It’s obvious to me you’re a bright person with a great deal of compassion for people.

A phrase I often say is “I love it.” Reminds me of Ruth L. Kirschstein.

PERSPECTIVES

RETROSPECTIVE:
Ruth L. Kirschstein (1926–2009)
Howard K. Schachman1 and Marvin Cassman2
In a discussion about the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) several years ago, Ruth Kirschstein commented, "I love it." And it showed. She served with distinction in countless positions and her imprint is evident in virtually all NIH policies and practices. With her passing last month from cancer, the world has lost a creative and dedicated public servant.

1 Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, QB3, Stanley Hall, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720–3220, USA.

2 Former director of NIGMS.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/sci;326/5955/947?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=Love&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=90&resourcetype=HWCIT

Borek said:
Its OUR Kurdt. Evo's ownership is only virtual :wink:

Who cares what Borek thinks about community property? LOL! (I can’t stop laughing.)

On a serious note, the blooming roses are withering away. It’s cold and the autunm leaves are everywhere. Good news is the sun is shinning. It’s time to rake. I love it! :cool:

• #1,942
It was 8°F (-13°C) this morning - so I figure the kale was gone.

I just went outside and pick some leaves off the kale, but they are not frozen, even with temperatures below freezing, and the leaves are edible. That's quite a remarkable plant.

• #1,943
Astronuc said:
It was 8°F (-13°C) this morning - so I figure the kale was gone.

I just went outside and pick some leaves off the kale, but they are not frozen, even with temperatures below freezing, and the leaves are edible. That's quite a remarkable plant.
Another real toughie is Brussels sprouts. A few days ago when I dropped in, my neighbor had waded out into the snow-covered garden spot to harvest Brussels sprouts for the grand-daughters' supper. I got a stalk of them too, and they were still very tender and tasty.

• #1,944
turbo-1 said:
Another real toughie is Brussels sprouts. A few days ago when I dropped in, my neighbor had waded out into the snow-covered garden spot to harvest Brussels sprouts for the grand-daughters' supper. I got a stalk of them too, and they were still very tender and tasty.
I'm going to have to work on the Brussels sprouts. I tried them one year, and the sprout didn't sprout much. Perhaps it was too hot and/or dry.

I love Brussels sprouts, so I'll try again. I also want to try rutabagas and other root plants.

• #1,945
Astronuc said:
I'm going to have to work on the Brussels sprouts. I tried them one year, and the sprout didn't sprout much. Perhaps it was too hot and/or dry.

I love Brussels sprouts, so I'll try again. I also want to try rutabagas and other root plants.
My wife and I tried Brussels sprouts 2 years ago, with disappointing results. Very small sprouts. Perhaps we'll try them again this year, starting them in our mini-greenhouse early, and transplanting them before most vegetables can be planted from seed. We planted parsnips that year too, and couldn't find a way to prepare them that was satisfactory. They were too rich and sweet.

• #1,946
turbo-1 said:
We planted parsnips that year too, and couldn't find a way to prepare them that was satisfactory. They were too rich and sweet.

I don't remember hearing any recipes for parsnip alone, it is always mixed with other vegetables (like carrot, leek, celeriac - I list them as vegetables may mean different thing to different people). Doesn't mean it is not possible, I just can't think of anything.

• #1,947
Borek said:
I don't remember hearing any recipes for parsnip alone, it is always mixed with other vegetables (like carrot, leek, celeriac - I list them as vegetables may mean different thing to different people). Doesn't mean it is not possible, I just can't think of anything.
I cook parship with roast along side potatoes and carrots. The parsnip and carrots are sliced in half length-wise.

Parsnips and carrots are good cold weather vegetables are good into the winter and can be left in the ground if its dry.

But with kale, I can extend the growing season into December - and maybe through the winter.

• #1,948
Borek said:
We tried using them in soups and in New England boiled dinners with mixed success. Probably the best result came from combining a bit of parsnip and some minced kale (what a coincidence!) with hot Italian sausage. Cook the sausage first in a pan with peanut oil, add in finely-cubed parsnip, and lastly add the minced kale. The kale adds a "zing" that helped mitigate the richness of the parsnips.

That recipe does not lend itself well to re-heating of left-overs. Still, it was about the closest we got to allowing parsnip to be a major player in a dish. We'll have to grow kale again this year. It's surprising how many times we added it into ad-hoc stir-fry dishes with good results.

• #1,949
Borek said:

I've tried dressing them up as a kind of glazed veggie... on their own. You slice them quite thinly and use brown sugar as a glaze. Then bake them until practically crispy... definitely crispy around the edges. Then kids will eat them.

The reason parsnip is only used sparingly is because it contains trace amounts of arsenic. So anyone trying to serve you heaping servings of parsnip is trying to kill you. If they're wearing "old lace" that's another sign.:eek:

• #1,950
baywax said:
The reason parsnip is only used sparingly is because it contains trace amounts of arsenic.

Never heard about it.

• #1,951
Borek said:
Never heard about it.
I have been unable to find any mention of that, Borek. However, if you Google Psoralens, you'll find that parsnips, celery, fennel, and other foods contain them.

• #1,952
turbo-1 said:
I have been unable to find any mention of that, Borek. However, if you Google Psoralens, you'll find that parsnips, celery, fennel, and other foods contain them.

I should have known better than to repeat the myths my older brother used to tell me!:mad: I can't find any mention of arsenic in parsnip either... but as turbo says, Psoralens are present in them...

Here's a great history about parsnips from the Forest Preserve District of Cook County (Illinois)

http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/natbltn/400-499/nb413.htm

Toward the end of the paper it is mentioned how wild parsnip looks similar to wild hemlock (deadly) and kills the livestock that mistake it for parsnip...

The Water Hemlock or Musquash Root also grows in wet places. Its
roots, which smell like parsnips, and its seeds, contain a deadly poison
and many cattle are killed by eating its young shoots in spring. The
poison Hemlock, closely related, is supposed to have furnished the "cup
of death" given to Socrates.

Parsnips can also be used to make wine or, as in Europe, delicious soup.

• #1,953
I got a picture of the NotaGoshawk!

notagoshawkrear.jpg

From a distance, from the back, with his head blocked by a branch... :cry:

• #1,954
Evo said:

notagoshawkrear.jpg

Sure looks like a Goshawk. Harriers have long slim tails, too, barred with white tips. BUT, harriers have a prominent white patch at the base of the tail, which this critter doesn't seem to have.

• #1,955
Wow, what a snow storm! My dog, the Fruit bat, walked off the porch and sank headfirst into the snow when he no longer had any patio under him. Poor thing. He can't even leave the patio now, the snow is over his head. Lovely, I have yellow snow on the corner of my patio.

Birds have been crashing into my windows all day, I thought they were flying *into* the windows, but I happened to be looking out the window when one was flying by and a sudden gust of wind slammed him sideways into the window. That makes more sense.

Aha, I hear them digging out my front door, I had a three foot pile of snow in front of it when I tried to open it earlier.

Last edited:
  • #1,956
turbo-1 said:
Sure looks like a Goshawk. Harriers have long slim tails, too, barred with white tips. BUT, harriers have a prominent white patch at the base of the tail, which this critter doesn't seem to have.

Here's a Northern Goshawk:

efhquu.jpg

That pic is from an http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/IFWIS/ibt/site.aspx?id=N16". It does look like a Goshawk.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,957
lisab said:
Here's a Northern Goshawk:

efhquu.jpg

That pic is from an http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/IFWIS/ibt/site.aspx?id=N16". It does look like a Goshawk.
Nope, looks nothing like my bird. Mine is solid charcoal gray on the back and solid white from above his eyes down to his toes in the front, with a grey mohawk. Looks nothing like a goshawk. There are zero stripes or markings on my bird. It's NotaGoshawk. Also, the northern Goshawk has an elongated beak, my bird has a beak almost flush with it's face.

See here for it's long face/beak, mine bird has a very flat face. http://www.zazzle.com/goshawk_card-137942816305526347

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,959
Evo said:

notagoshawkrear.jpg

The tail is long and grey with black or dark bands. The posterior view looks like it is a Goshawk.

• #1,960
shape of the head is wrong for a goshawk. I'm thinking it's a mutant red tail, because when it's flying overhead, there are rust colored feathers on the underside of the tail. It just really doesn't fit in with any hawk descripttion I've seen. I have plenty of other hawks that are normal, this one is really unusual from the front.

<h2>1. What are the essential tools needed for successful gardening?</h2><p>The essential tools for successful gardening include a shovel, trowel, rake, pruning shears, and watering can. These tools will help you prepare the soil, plant and maintain your garden, and keep it watered and healthy.</p><h2>2. How often should I water my garden?</h2><p>The frequency of watering your garden depends on various factors such as the type of plants, weather conditions, and soil type. In general, most gardens require watering 1-2 times a week, but it's important to check the soil moisture and adjust accordingly.</p><h2>3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in gardening?</h2><p>Some common mistakes to avoid in gardening include over or under-watering, planting in the wrong season, not providing enough sunlight, and not properly preparing the soil. It's also important to regularly remove weeds and pests to keep your plants healthy.</p><h2>4. How can I improve the soil quality in my garden?</h2><p>To improve the soil quality in your garden, you can add organic matter such as compost, manure, or leaf mulch. This will provide essential nutrients and improve the soil's structure, allowing for better water and air circulation.</p><h2>5. What are some tips for maintaining a healthy garden?</h2><p>To maintain a healthy garden, it's important to regularly water and fertilize your plants, remove weeds and pests, and provide adequate sunlight. It's also helpful to rotate your crops each season and monitor for any signs of disease or nutrient deficiencies.</p>

1. What are the essential tools needed for successful gardening?

The essential tools for successful gardening include a shovel, trowel, rake, pruning shears, and watering can. These tools will help you prepare the soil, plant and maintain your garden, and keep it watered and healthy.

2. How often should I water my garden?

The frequency of watering your garden depends on various factors such as the type of plants, weather conditions, and soil type. In general, most gardens require watering 1-2 times a week, but it's important to check the soil moisture and adjust accordingly.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid in gardening?

Some common mistakes to avoid in gardening include over or under-watering, planting in the wrong season, not providing enough sunlight, and not properly preparing the soil. It's also important to regularly remove weeds and pests to keep your plants healthy.

4. How can I improve the soil quality in my garden?

To improve the soil quality in your garden, you can add organic matter such as compost, manure, or leaf mulch. This will provide essential nutrients and improve the soil's structure, allowing for better water and air circulation.

5. What are some tips for maintaining a healthy garden?

To maintain a healthy garden, it's important to regularly water and fertilize your plants, remove weeds and pests, and provide adequate sunlight. It's also helpful to rotate your crops each season and monitor for any signs of disease or nutrient deficiencies.

Back