Writing in LaTeX - Tips & Tutorials

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, writing in LaTeX can be made easier with the help of various tips and tutorials. These resources provide guidance on how to format documents, create tables and figures, and handle equations and references. Additionally, they offer tips on how to customize the appearance of documents, troubleshoot errors, and collaborate with others on LaTeX projects. By utilizing these resources, writers can improve the efficiency and quality of their documents while also learning valuable skills in typesetting and document preparation.
EngWiPy
Hello,

How to write the following using the Latex program:

attachment.php?attachmentid=19728&stc=1&d=1247663607.jpg

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Sample.JPG
    Sample.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,067
Physics news on Phys.org
Try this out and see if it works for you. The column widths and vertical spaces are adjustable.

Code:
\newlength{\vertspace}
\setlength{\vertspace}{5pt}

\begin{tabular}{p{2in} p{1.5in} p{2in}}
	\underline{Signature of Author} && \dotfill\\[12pt]

\underline{Committee Member} && \hfill Signature and Date\\[\vertspace]
	Dr. \dotfill &(Chairman) & \dotfill\\[\vertspace]
	Dr. \dotfill &(Member) & \dotfill\\[\vertspace]
	Dr. \dotfill &(External Examiner) & \dotfill\\
\end{tabular}

Fenn said:
Try this out and see if it works for you. The column widths and vertical spaces are adjustable.

Code:
\newlength{\vertspace}
\setlength{\vertspace}{5pt}

\begin{tabular}{p{2in} p{1.5in} p{2in}}
	\underline{Signature of Author} && \dotfill\\[12pt]

\underline{Committee Member} && \hfill Signature and Date\\[\vertspace]
	Dr. \dotfill &(Chairman) & \dotfill\\[\vertspace]
	Dr. \dotfill &(External Examiner) & \dotfill\\
\end{tabular}

This is great. Exactly matching what I want. Do you know what? This program (Latex) is a great one once you get use of it. Thank you very much Fenn. Wish you luck.

Best regards

S_David said:
This is great. Exactly matching what I want. Do you know what? This program (Latex) is a great one once you get use of it. Thank you very much Fenn. Wish you luck.

Best regards

Yes, LaTeX is a wonderful resource for document preparation. Based on your request, I'm assuming it's for a thesis?

Fenn said:
Yes, LaTeX is a wonderful resource for document preparation. Based on your request, I'm assuming it's for a thesis?

Yes indeed, it is a master thesis. I am in the writting stage, so I have many problems, specially I am new at the Latex community.

Regards

S_David said:
Yes indeed, it is a master thesis. I am in the writting stage, so I have many problems, specially I am new at the Latex community.

Regards

There's plenty of resources for LaTeX help, including this forum. Googling "latex <insert question here>" has served me very well. You can find all kinds of treasures, as long as you get used to weeding through the false hits. http://www.latex-community.org is another great site. Like many others, I've recently started a weblog listing things I've discovered or developed during my learning process.

Fenn said:
There's plenty of resources for LaTeX help, including this forum. Googling "latex <insert question here>" has served me very well. You can find all kinds of treasures, as long as you get used to weeding through the false hits. http://www.latex-community.org is another great site. Like many others, I've recently started a weblog listing things I've discovered or developed during my learning process.

Yes you are right. I found things that were useful by Googling, but there are things you can not find them directly, and you have to do extensive search and reading. This forum actually help me a lot by answering my questions, and I appreciate that very much.

Regards

What is LaTeX and why is it used for writing?

LaTeX is a typesetting language used for creating scientific and technical documents. It is known for its ability to produce high-quality documents with complex mathematical equations and symbols. It is often used by scientists because it allows for precise and professional-looking formatting.

Do I need to know how to code to use LaTeX?

While having a basic understanding of coding can be helpful, it is not necessary to know how to code in order to use LaTeX. There are many user-friendly interfaces and templates available that allow for easy creation of documents without any coding knowledge.

How do I create mathematical equations in LaTeX?

LaTeX has a built-in feature for creating mathematical equations using a combination of symbols and commands. There are also various online resources and guides available for learning how to use these features effectively.

Can I use images and graphics in my LaTeX document?

Yes, LaTeX allows for the insertion of images and graphics into documents. This can be done using the \includegraphics command, and there are also options for adjusting the size and placement of images within the document.

Is there a learning curve for using LaTeX?

Like any new tool, there may be a learning curve for using LaTeX. However, there are many resources and tutorials available online to help users learn how to use the language effectively. With practice, creating documents in LaTeX can become easier and more efficient.