Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How e-organized are you?

1. <10

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. >10

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. >100

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. >500

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. >1000

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  6. >2000

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  7. >3000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. >4000

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. >5000

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. >10000

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Aug 15, 2005 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I just archived all my emails that are more than a month old, and I still have way too many - before archving, I think I was up over 3000. I just don't delete emails as a part of my routine - no matter how useless they've become.

Do you?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2005 #2

wolram

Gold Member

I have only kept the first two, from special people, for different reasons.

4. Aug 15, 2005 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Am I one of them?
    :smile:

5. Aug 15, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

You would have to be a lady to fit in that category
    :biggrin:

6. Aug 15, 2005 #5

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I have 75 right now. I keep my inbox clean - most of those are articles from NASA Science News that I'm going to get around to reading one these days. :rolleyes:

7. Aug 15, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have just a smidge under 500. When I hit around that 500 mark, that's when I go through cleaning out old stuff that should have been deleted on the first read and archiving other stuff (and usually when the number of attachments reaches a critical limit that I start running out of space in my inbox, necessitating organizing all those attachments into proper folders). That should all be part of next week's "organize everything before I move" project.

8. Aug 15, 2005 #7
    I have 766 right now. I should probably go back and delete about 700 of those, most of which are words of the day.

9. Aug 15, 2005 #8

PerennialII

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

mail db has about 90k, inbox 500.

10. Aug 15, 2005 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i have 3 email addresses i use-one that's my personal mail, one for junk things i subscribe to, and one for work...each has less then 3 in them currently...i am one of those kinds of people that throws it out if i don't need it...as einstein once said, "never commit anything to memory you can look up" :biggrin:

guess that memory also includes my computer/email memory.

11. Aug 15, 2005 #10
    I accidentally signed up for many stupid newsletters and other similar things, I get a few hundred mails every day from these spam services. I need to get a new id.

12. Aug 15, 2005 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1545 archived, from friends
    I lost another email address with mail from friends because of the one month sign in policy :cry:

13. Aug 15, 2005 #12
    I promptly file anything worth keeping, and get rid of the rest. I hate clutter, even in my mail box :smile:

14. Aug 15, 2005 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

228. Oldest unopened E-Mail is from April 29, 2004.

Hmmm, I almost opened it to see if I should delete it or not, but I kind of feel like I'd be violating a historical landmark.

Second oldest is from June 24, 2005 and I know I'll delete that one without even reading it. (There's free food in the break room??!! I'm there!!! Doh!)

15. Aug 15, 2005 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

In my work e-mail account I used to average around 12,000 e-mails in my in box. Then they started doing an automated cleanup every 60 days that would move the old e-mails into a temporary folder for a month before they were deleted. This keeps my inbox down down to around 900 e-mails. Once a month I go into my temporary folder and glance through what is about to be deleted and then move anything I really need to keep into my premanent folders. I still move critical e-mails into my personal folders on a daily basis, there is just too much to keep up with.

16. Aug 15, 2005 #15
    I have 2 in my inbox. Everything is Archived well before it's a week old.

17. Aug 16, 2005 #16

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I voted >5000 (work mail), though if I included my personal inbox, it would be well over 10,000. I do remove all spam and I have a lot of folders for specific categories of email, but overloading on folders would be less appealing to me than just letting the messages sit in the inbox, so I only have those for really common things (weekly or more often).

Oh, and thanks to the lovely mail filters and junk mail control of Thunderbird, very little of this has to be done by hand. :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?