How early to think of graduate school?

In summary, the individual is currently studying for a BS with majors in Math (applied), Physics (professional), and Chemistry (business). They plan to finish a BBA-Finance major and then pursue a Masters program in the fall. They have moderate grades and are considering a dual Masters in math and physics, though may require a heavy course load and taking the GRE math and physics subject tests. Some suggested schools for good math and physics Masters programs in the Midwest/Great Lakes region include the University of Chicago, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Michigan State University, Purdue University, Ohio State University, and the University of Illinois.
runningthinker
Alright, here is my situation, I am at a smaller state school, no PhD programs but a few masters, in my 3rd year of 5 (hopefully). I am getting a BS with Math (applied), Physics (professional, its pretty much basic stuff that should prepare you for grad school), and Chemistry (business, I only go through physical chem) majors, than I am planning to stick around a semester to finish a BBA-Finance major, so I can start a Masters program in the Fall. Grades wise I am not that good--Math is about a 3.1 (out of 4.0), physics 3.7, chem 3.7.

Would it be out of the question to try a dual masters in PhD track math and physics. If it is possible can I do it in 3 years or less, I have been taking 20+ units a semester now so I am thinking a load of 12 units should be doable in grad school.

Also would taking the GRE math and physics subject tests be a good idea, right now I am looking for Midwest/Great Lakes region Universities for grad school.

Any suggestions on schools that have good math and physics masters programs, best I can find is Chicago. Or would a smaller school like UW-Milwaukee be alright. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is possible to pursue a dual masters in math and physics, though it is not something that is commonly done. Depending on the courses and requirements of the programs you're looking at, it may be possible to complete them both within three years, but that would likely require taking a heavy course load each semester. Taking the GRE math and physics subject tests might be a good idea, as it can help demonstrate your knowledge of the field and strengthen your application to graduate programs.

As far as schools with good math and physics masters programs, it really depends on what type of program you are looking for. The University of Chicago is certainly one of the top schools in the country for math and physics, but there are also many other smaller schools in the Midwest/Great Lakes region that have excellent programs, such as the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Michigan State University, Purdue University, Ohio State University, and the University of Illinois. You should research the different programs to see which one best suits your needs and interests. Good luck!

I would say that it is never too early to start thinking about graduate school. In fact, it is great that you are already considering your options and planning ahead. Graduate school can be a great opportunity to further your education and career prospects, but it is important to do your research and make sure it is the right path for you.

Based on your current majors and grades, it seems like you have a strong foundation in math, physics, and chemistry. It is definitely possible to pursue a dual masters in both math and physics, but it may require a lot of hard work and dedication. I would recommend speaking with your academic advisor or professors in each department to get a better understanding of the workload and expectations for a dual masters program.

As for the time frame, it may be possible to complete both masters degrees in 3 years or less, but it will depend on the specific program and your own personal commitments and abilities. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively to ensure success in your studies.

Taking the GRE subject tests in math and physics is a good idea, as it will demonstrate your proficiency in these subjects to potential graduate programs. It is also a good idea to research and apply to multiple universities in the Midwest/Great Lakes region to increase your chances of getting accepted into a strong program.

In terms of specific schools, it is important to consider factors such as the faculty and research opportunities available in your areas of interest. Some smaller schools may have excellent programs and opportunities, so do not discount them based on size alone. I would recommend reaching out to current students or alumni of different programs to get their insights and recommendations.

Overall, it is great that you are already thinking about graduate school and exploring your options. I would encourage you to continue researching and speaking with advisors and professors to make an informed decision about your future academic pursuits. Best of luck!

1. How early should I start thinking about graduate school?

It is recommended to start thinking about graduate school during your undergraduate studies. This can be as early as your first or second year, as it will give you enough time to prepare and make informed decisions.

2. What factors should I consider when deciding when to apply to graduate school?

There are several factors to consider when deciding when to apply to graduate school, including your academic performance, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal readiness. It is important to also research the application deadlines and requirements for the specific programs you are interested in.

3. Is it better to apply to graduate school right after completing my undergraduate degree?

It depends on your individual circumstances. Some students may benefit from taking a gap year to gain work experience or improve their academic profile before applying to graduate school. Others may feel ready to continue their education immediately after completing their undergraduate degree.

4. Can I apply to graduate school while still completing my undergraduate degree?

Yes, it is possible to apply to graduate school while still completing your undergraduate degree. However, it is important to manage your time effectively and make sure you meet all the application requirements and deadlines.

5. Is it necessary to have a specific major to be eligible for graduate school?

Each graduate program may have different requirements, but in general, it is not necessary to have a specific major to be eligible for graduate school. Many programs value diverse backgrounds and look for applicants with a variety of skills and experiences.