Exploring PhD Scholarships & Financial Sources in the US

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a non-US citizen studying for a PhD in the US and the financial difficulties that may arise. The individual expresses their desire to save money and help their family financially. However, it is mentioned that a PhD stipend may not be enough to cover living expenses and taking on additional work may be limited due to visa restrictions. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of securing funding as a foreign student and the need for alternative plans.
Twukwuw
hi,

I am not an US citizen, but have a plan to study phD in US.

However, I have financial problem.

My question is:
If I am awarded a phD scholarship, is there still any other "financial sources" that I can work for to earn some more money?

If I spend just enough for basic living expenses, may I know roughly how much I can save from my scholarship and the onther "financial sources"?

To save money is important to me as I have to help my family's economics.

Thanks sincerely,
Twukwuw.

Physics news on Phys.org
In most cases a PhD stipend is enough to live on in your local, not much more. As for sending money home, LOL unless you share living expenses with a bunch of people and live in like a pauper.

As for working elsewhere, when you accept your scholarship, you most likely will not be able to take an outsideposition to earn other living expenses, in essence you will be a slave to your graduate department for the time you are accepting their money.

thanks for your quick reply Dr Transport, I really appreaciate it.

In fact now I am so confused, about the future.
Although studying physicis is my dream, but, the 5 years of jobless period is really a difficult time for me.
I need as many information as possible.

Anyway, thanks so much.

Regards,
Twukwuw. :grumpy:

I agree with what Dr T said; unless things have changed since my grad school days, you won't be saving much money and you will indeed be a slave to your advisor. Nonetheless, be thankful if you can get such a deal.

I'm not clear on what your situation is. Have you been accepted by a PhD program, or are you just thinking ahead? Again, I'm not sure how things are done today, but usually you get a teaching assistanceship until you pass the qualifying exams and then you hook up with a research program. A full ride is pretty sweet if you can get it.

As far as earning extra cash, opportunities are limited--you just won't have time. That said, I made extra cash by tutoring.

so...Doc Al,

when you was giving tutoring , how much they paid you?

I am doing my undergraduade now, will graduate next 2 years.

Thanks,
Twukwuw.

Twukwuw said:
when you was giving tutoring , how much they paid you?
That was decades ago, so my going rates would not be relevant today. But assuming you are doing private tutoring, you set your own rates depending on the market and how good you are. (I was the best, baby. :cool:)

Realize that my tutoring was not part of my official departmental duties. My own students (when I was teaching) got help for free, of course.

Note that if you are an international student on an F1 visa (maybe even a J1), you CANNOT have any form of employment or income in the US other than through the school that gave you your visa upon receiving permission. If you do that, you will be in violation of your visa status.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Note that if you are an international student on an F1 visa (maybe even a J1), you CANNOT have any form of employment or income in the US other than through the school that gave you your visa upon receiving permission. If you do that, you will be in violation of your visa status.

Zz.
Given todays environment, you'll be thrown out of the program and the country. Tutoring for cash is not an option.

Jez! I know there MUST be something around! :cry: :cry:

Dear my two doc's,
You just really provoked my extreme hate that has already become fixed traumatically about receiving money. Anywhere I go, I always try to fight so hard for that FACT.
No matter who that is, If you doc's have slavery in mind, you might never see me pass by your labs :sad:

Hehe, Twukwuw, refusing to move there or being unaccepted to do a Phd is also fine :biggrin:

Last edited:
Sorry everyone, I am just quite ALLERGIC to that. Things will be fine right then on... Hehe

oh Drimar, are you a foreign student in US?

Drimar said:
Jez! I know there MUST be something around! :cry: :cry:

Dear my two doc's,
You just really provoked my extreme hate that has already become fixed traumatically about receiving money. Anywhere I go, I always try to fight so hard for that FACT.
No matter who that is, If you doc's have slavery in mind, you might never see me pass by your labs :sad:

Hehe, Twukwuw, refusing to move there or being unaccepted to do a Phd is also fine :biggrin:

What in the world are you ranting about?! You just BOLD your statements but it has zero content other than to say that you hate this and that!

What is it that you hate? The LAW? If you think I am lying, please check the facts yourself at any international student office, or the Homeland Dept. website.

Zz.

Doc Al said:
I agree with what Dr T said; unless things have changed since my grad school days, you won't be saving much money and you will indeed be a slave to your advisor. Nonetheless, be thankful if you can get such a deal.
Things haven't changed that much.

Also, Zz's information about visa status limiting the ability to work outside the university is accurate. In addition, anyone applying for a Ph.D. program in the U.S. as a foreign student should be aware that there are more limitations on where their sources of funding can come from (a lot of funding is limited to U.S. citizens and permanent residents only), so unless they are really a top-notch student worth paying their stipend out of those limited resources that can fund a foreign student, they may have a tough time getting full funding, or even getting admitted. If you're thinking about it, at least also think about an alternative plan, such as universities in your home country or other countries.

I wouldn't say you can't save money. I have 200-300 dollars a month left over that I "could" save. But I go to school in IN and life is kinda cheap around here. You goto NY it's going to be different.

ZapperZ said:

Zz.
Indeed.

To the OP: I was a student At Cornell on a F1 (international student) visa. I had two scholarships from my home country but what this did is to allow me to reduce my load as a teaching assistant so that I had more time working on my classes and my research (and mastering English). But I could not use that extra time to earn more money.

In the end, I felt fortunate to graduate with no debt (even if I had no financial support from my mom who had very little money for herself to start with). So my point is: for someone coming on an F1 visa, one should aim for graduating with no debt, at best (or maybe with a *little* bit of money set aside). Expecting more would be, unfortunately, unrealistic.

Twukwuw said:
hi,

I am not an US citizen, but have a plan to study phD in US.
However, I have financial problem.
My question is:
If I am awarded a phD scholarship, is there still any other "financial sources" that I can work for to earn some more money?
If I spend just enough for basic living expenses, may I know roughly how much I can save from my scholarship and the onther "financial sources"?
To save money is important to me as I have to help my family's economics.
Thanks sincerely,
Twukwuw.
I think, to you, choosing a place to live should be first come to mind rather than one to study. Degree is degree, a piece of paper!
Life is "Come on Come suc me, I'll give you a hand"

Where to learn is what you can always choose even if you refuse to make a choice, that is to choose not to make the choice!

Thanks to all of you!

Ok, I will consider more sriously.

Twukwuw.

1. What is a PhD scholarship?

A PhD scholarship is a type of financial aid awarded to students pursuing a doctoral degree. It is usually based on academic merit and can cover tuition fees, living expenses, and research costs.

2. How do I find PhD scholarships in the US?

There are various ways to find PhD scholarships in the US. You can search online through scholarship databases, visit the websites of universities or research institutions, or contact the financial aid office of your chosen institution.

3. What are the eligibility criteria for PhD scholarships in the US?

The eligibility criteria for PhD scholarships vary depending on the institution and the specific scholarship. However, most scholarships require applicants to have a strong academic background, demonstrate potential for research, and meet specific citizenship or residency requirements.

4. How competitive is the process of obtaining a PhD scholarship?

The competition for PhD scholarships can be quite high as they are limited in number and highly sought after by many students. It is important to have a strong academic record and a well-developed research proposal to increase your chances of obtaining a scholarship.

5. Can I receive multiple PhD scholarships at the same time?

It is possible to receive multiple PhD scholarships at the same time, but it is not very common. Some scholarships may have restrictions on receiving additional funding, so it is important to check the terms and conditions carefully before applying for multiple scholarships.