Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How exactly is heat transferred?

1. Apr 6, 2005 #1
    Hi!
    I am working on a computer model of a billiard-ball-universe in 2d in order to understand the motion equations, forces, collisions etc. I want to try to simulate heat using circles/dots representing air particles, colliding among themselves and a surrounding rectangle representing the walls of an 'oven'. I read that heat is the average speed of the molecules.

As an oven warms up:

Would simply increasing the speed of a particle as it bounces off the wall be a correct way to represent heat transition? Or possibly shoot particles from the wall into the oven? Would these particles be photons or molecules themselves?
    Can you model heat using lines and circles at all or doesnt that come close?
    Any help would be appreciated. :!!)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You got it - its like lobbing tennis balls at a vibrating wall - the wall is going to kick them away faster than they came at it.

4. Apr 6, 2005 #3
    ok thanks, and would the relationship between the wall's temperature and the average gained outgoing speed of the particle be linear?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?