How exactly does the electric force act?

In summary: My question was, how do we accelerate charge particles in particle accelerators?If the charge is free, then it will undergo an acceleration due to the presence of that force.This was how the old CRT TV worked, and the basic principle of a DC electron gun!Now, what was your question again?
torxxx
greeting

How exactly the electric force acts .The definition of force is In physics, a force is any interaction that, when unopposed, will change the motion of an object. as the electron circulates around the nucleus of the atom because of that I do not see how that force acts .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi torxxx. Unfortunately I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what you're asking. Can you elaborate a little more? Is there a specific concept with the electromagnetic force that you're confused about? (other than the case of an electron orbiting a nucleus. see below)

torxxx said:
as the electron circulates around the nucleus of the atom because of that I do not see how that force acts .

What is it about the behavior of an electron in its atomic orbital that confuses you with regard to the electromagnetic force?

Drakkith said:
Hi torxxx. Unfortunately I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding what you're asking. Can you elaborate a little more? Is there a specific concept with the electromagnetic force that you're confused about? (other than the case of an electron orbiting a nucleus. see below)
What is it about the behavior of an electron in its atomic orbital that confuses you with regard to the electromagnetic force?
force attract or repel objects electron who circulate around atomic nucleus is neither
repelled or attracted

torxxx said:
force attract or repel objects electron who circulate around atomic nucleus is neither
repelled or attracted

On the contrary, the electron is always attracted to the nucleus. The problem is that an electron does not orbit around the nucleus like a planet orbits a star. Fundamental particles like electrons cannot be described in "classical" terms at the atomic and subatomic scales. Instead, the electron is described by a wavefunction that, among other things, tells us the probability of finding the electron at some location. The electric force from the nucleus attracts the electron and is one of the primary things that influences its wavefunction.

I didn't understand this either. Perhaps if you used complete sentences it would be clearer.

Drakkith said:
On the contrary, the electron is always attracted to the nucleus. The problem is that an electron does not orbit around the nucleus like a planet orbits a star. Fundamental particles like electrons cannot be described in "classical" terms at the atomic and subatomic scales. Instead, the electron is described by a wavefunction that, among other things, tells us the probability of finding the electron at some location. The electric force from the nucleus attracts the electron and is one of the primary things that influences its wavefunction.
ok but where is acceleration

torxxx said:
ok but where is acceleration

It's not accelerating as far as I know.

Drakkith said:
It's not accelerating as far as I know.
I think that my confusion areas because of definition of force in force definition objects move because of the force and now why have force and why don't have acceleration

torxxx said:
I think that my confusion areas because of definition of force in force definition objects move because of the force and now why have force and why don't have acceleration
The bigger problem is that you do not even have position. An electron bound into an atom does not behave like a classical particle. It does not have a well defined position. Now, in what direction would this classical force be acting if the electron has no particular position in relation to the nucleus?

torxxx said:

Why aren't you moving downward into the ground under the force of gravity? By your definition, you don't have a force applied to you when you're not accelerating. However, that's not an accurate definition of force. Yes, force causes acceleration, but the lack of acceleration does not mean a lack of force.

torxxx said:

Hang on a second. How do you think we accelerate charge particles in particle accelerators?

Let's start with the SIMPLEST case. We have a uniform electric field E, and we place a charge particle q in that field. There will be a force acting on that charge particle due to the interaction of the charge with the external electric field. This force has the magnitude F = qE.

If the charge is free, then it will undergo an acceleration due to the presence of that force.

This was how the old CRT TV worked, and the basic principle of a DC electron gun!

Now, what was your question again?

Zz.

1. What is the electric force?

The electric force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is one of the four fundamental forces, along with gravity, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How does the electric force act?

The electric force acts by exerting a force on charged particles. Like charges repel each other, while opposite charges attract each other. The strength of the force is determined by the magnitude of the charges and the distance between them, as described by Coulomb's law.

3. What causes the electric force?

The electric force is caused by the interaction of electrically charged particles. These particles can be protons, which have a positive charge, or electrons, which have a negative charge. The force is created by the exchange of virtual particles called photons.

4. How does the electric force affect matter?

The electric force plays a crucial role in the structure and behavior of matter. It holds together atoms and molecules, which are made up of charged particles. It also determines how charged particles interact with each other, which affects the properties of materials such as conductivity and magnetism.

5. Can the electric force be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric force can be shielded or blocked by materials that are good conductors of electricity. This is because these materials allow electric charges to flow freely, redistributing the electric field and reducing the strength of the force. Some materials, such as metal, can completely block the electric force due to their ability to conduct electricity.