Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How far back can you remember ?

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

I have realized i can not remember much beyond my 16th birthday, just a few bits and pieces, how far back can you mature PFers remember ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2
    i remember myself in my moms womb.:biggrin:

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Here use this towel :biggrin:

5. Oct 2, 2005 #4

Lisa!

Gold Member

I have some memries of when I was 2 or less!:zzz:

6. Oct 2, 2005 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that one of my earliest memories puts me at about age one. I have a vague memory of sitting on my great-grandmother's lap and looking up at her face. I have many memories of events from age three or so, and later.

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6

wolram

Gold Member

Well thats not so far back is it :confused: :biggrin:

8. Oct 2, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

That is amazing, i have no memories at all of my pre school days. :grumpy:

9. Oct 2, 2005 #8
    no thanks. :biggrin: u will need to buy a new one if i use it :yuck: :approve:

10. Oct 2, 2005 #9
    I remember being in my old old old house, I was 3 at the time(I think, maybe 2).

11. Oct 2, 2005 #10
    I'm 23 (this month) and don't have a huge amount of memories before 14. I remember smells, sounds, places and people but I don't remember specifics like when a friend says "remember that time we did .....". I don't remember much interaction with people (it happened... I just don't remember hehe)

I very rarely think about the past.

12. Oct 2, 2005 #11
    I am unsure. My parents often tell stories of when I was a young kid, but I am not sure if they are true, or if they have been told so many times that I believe them to be true.

13. Oct 2, 2005 #12

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The earliest memory I can be sure of is from late 1984, and involves me, as a four year-old, sitting on Santa Claus' lap to tell him what I wanted for Christmas. I can find in my memory images and events from when I was younger than that, but they all seem to be mental images I formed based on stories that my parents told me rather than true memories.

14. Oct 2, 2005 #13
    I was born in 86 and my brother was born in 90. I remember telling my parents to buy me a brother :biggrin:. I also remember my mom asking me if I really wanted a brother and that he will have to share everything with me. I remember sitting in the car with mom and dad when mom was pregnant and going to the hospital. I told her to just open her belly and take the baby out without going to a doctor :biggrin:. One funny thing I remember is the first day of school when I was so proud to be 5 years old...I was thinking wow I'm FIVE years old...I'm BIIIIG.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  15. Oct 2, 2005 #14

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I remember a couple of things from when I was 2. Memories from then on are patchy and inconsistent right up to 20 seconds ago.

16. Oct 2, 2005 #15

wolram

Gold Member

If i were not a heartless B, i would have to say how cute :biggrin:

17. Oct 2, 2005 #16

wolram

Gold Member

Who are you :confused: :confused: :confused: :rofl:

18. Oct 2, 2005 #17

honestrosewater

Gold Member

My first complete memory is of being in Tennessee during the winter when I was 3. My dad and older brother were playing in the snow, but I was too cold to move and just kept sinking in the snow. My dad wold come over every once in while and pull me out and set me back on top. And I'd start sinking again. It was the first and last time I ever saw snow too.
    My earlier memories are little pieces of things; a certain blanket my mom says I had when I was 2 and such.

Oh, a funny/strange tidbit: I think I was around 6 or 7. I was watching TV and a phone number came up in an ad for one of those adjustable beds. For some reason, I wondered how long I could remember the number. So I tried to memorize it right away. It was 1-800-722-7337. :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  19. Oct 2, 2005 #18
    I have a lot of visual recollections. I'm just not sure which ones are memories and which ones are fabrications of my imagination.

20. Oct 2, 2005 #19
    :rofl: I remember thinking that when I turned ten. My dad told me I'm a decade old now. WOW... a DECADE!! :biggrin:

21. Oct 2, 2005 #20

wolram

Gold Member

Awww, every body now together, but were you homogenous and isotropic then
    :uhh: :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?