How far back can you trace your ancestors ?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trace
In summary, In 1750's, the ancestors of the person I am speaking with migrated from France to the United States. They can trace their lineage back to one of the first families to settle in Ohio. They also have a couple of distant relatives that settled in Guernsey County, Ohio in the early 1800's.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:

3 Generations on my father's side and just one generation on my mother's side.

Back during high school, one of the activities we once did was to do look some geneology thing or something.

I dated mine back to 1750's, where they immigrated from France. I have no idea what happens before that.

I have traced back both sides from when they came to the US. Mom's side about 100 years ago, dad's side about mayflower time.

I can trace one branch of my family back to about 1620 in Normandy.

I got lucky. A couple of my relatives (indirect line) settled Guernsey County in Ohio when Ohio was first opened up for settlement. Lots of relatives (including a couple my direct ancestors) from Guernsey Island, of the British Channel Islands, moved to Guernsey County in the US soon after. An historian did the genealogy of Guernsey Island residents, so I had nearly 200 years of that branch of my family tree in one swoop.

The other branches have been tougher. I traced one to the Schleswig-Holstein region of Denmark/Germany back prior to 1700 (the earliest birth date I have on that branch is 1701 - I have the parents names, but no other info - it's probably safe to assume both were born sometime before 1700). I was corresponding with my dad's cousin (they went to high school together) and she hooked me up with a relative that had paid to have someone trace her Danish ancestors - even though we were pretty distant relatives we had a lot of overlap by time you get that far back.

Besides those two branches, I've usually reached a dead-end in Europe with, at best, maybe the birth dates and places of the parents of the first in that line to immigrate to the US.

The earliest family born in the US that I've found is back to 1810 (I reached a dead-end in Pittsburgh and couldn't trace them back further than that).

My mother{Cherokee/Shawnee}, traces her family back to the first cedar tree. While my Father{Norse} claims to come from Elfin stock.

About 300 years on my Mom's side (settled PA in the late 1600s) and 150 on my dad's.

a few generations on my dad's side, too far to count on my mothers.

I traced myself back to god's family. I'm that good...

yomamma said:
god's family?

No, God's family. You know, his son, his innocent little stepchildren. He thinks they're angels, but you don't know what they do behind his back. One's a rebel. What a punk!

yomamma said:
Heh! We know the truth. You gave up tracing your family once you reached the grandmother that died in infancy. :rolleyes:

I work in a history library with a busy genaeology section, alongside a very talented genaeologist, so if I set my mind to it, I could trace them pretty damn far I reckon, but since I spend half of my time tracing other people's, it would be too much like being at work.

On my mother's side, to Harald Hairfair (Eric Bloodaxe's dad), Norway's first king.

yomamma said:
As far as I know, No where is mentioned that Jesus got married or had children, so you must be Jesus not his family! :wink:

i have traced my history to 53 geneartions. every person in nepal can trace himself till that point, we can buy a book on that. it cost . i am a decendant of sage "atri". well, it could be false, but it is worth beliving.

Last edited:
BobG said:
Heh! We know the truth. You gave up tracing your family once you reached the grandmother that died in infancy. :rolleyes:
yeah the virgin mary...

arildno said:
On my mother's side, to Harald Hairfair (Eric Bloodaxe's dad), Norway's first king.

Two people on PFs close to rolalty, wow.

wolram said:
Two people on PFs close to rolalty, wow.

Wasn't there a lot of inbreeding with royalty? Not meaning to say anything about anyone...just asking.

There sure was Townsend, but hey, if its ok for the south, its ok for everyone :tongue2:

1. How is it possible to trace ancestors so far back?

Through a combination of genetic testing, genealogical records, and historical documents, scientists and researchers are able to trace lineages back many generations.

2. What is the furthest back that ancestry can be traced?

The furthest back that ancestry can be traced varies depending on the individual and their family history, but some people have been able to trace their ancestors back to ancient civilizations such as ancient Egypt or Mesopotamia.

3. Can DNA testing help with tracing ancestors?

Yes, DNA testing can provide valuable information about a person's genetic makeup and can help connect them to distant relatives and trace their ancestry back generations.

4. Are there any limitations to tracing ancestry?

Yes, there are limitations to tracing ancestry, especially for marginalized and underrepresented communities whose historical records may have been lost or destroyed. DNA testing also has limitations, as it can only provide information about direct genetic ancestors.

5. How accurate is tracing ancestry?

Tracing ancestry can be accurate to a certain degree, but it is important to keep in mind that records and DNA testing can only provide information about direct ancestors and may not account for all branches of a family tree. It is also important to consider potential errors or biases in historical records and DNA testing results.